• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jalapeno flowers not opening

Hi all :surprised:,

I am new here, but have been reading the forum for quite some time, so I thought I'd make an account! Short introduction! (you can skip this if you want!) - a newbie grower here, currently with several varieties being grown - Ring of Fire, Jalapeno, Chocolate Habanero, Peach Habanero, Purple Tiger, Royal Black, Mushroom Red, Trinidad Scorpion and one unknown!

Hate to start my first post with issues rather than showing you results, but I have a tiny issue with a Jalapeno plant - it seems that my little Jalapeno plant has buds but they have been flowering at a rather slow pace - no open flowers whatsoever.

It has shown buds about a week and a half ago (see link).

https://goo.gl/photos/21v3xaax5o2dKxk3A

I have an exact plant like this at a residence, and it has already open flowers and starting growing the pepper.

My current setup is a rather large window facing south east, and I estimate about 4-5 hours of direct sunshine (behind a insect net). I put a desk lamp with a CFL tube on top to give them some additional light for about 4 to 6 hours. Country is Malta Europe (if that matters!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Chilli Joe

My wife had 2 or 3 out if 20 + do that too,but when they started opening they did all at one time.....but hers are outside

I also only get 4 hours of direct sunlight, so I bought CFL's, however I'm using 5 CFL' on mine (well 2 directly on my Jalapeno, 2 kinda in between my Jalapeno and baby bell peppers, and the last one just on the bels.  I run my CFL's 10-11 hours a day, shutting them off during direct sunlight. 

What type of container are you growing in, what kind of soil, how often do you water, and did you fertelize when you started, and/or do you add liquid fertilizer?  

Towlieee said:
I also only get 4 hours of direct sunlight, so I bought CFL's, however I'm using 5 CFL' on mine (well 2 directly on my Jalapeno, 2 kinda in between my Jalapeno and baby bell peppers, and the last one just on the bels.  I run my CFL's 10-11 hours a day, shutting them off during direct sunlight. 

What type of container are you growing in, what kind of soil, how often do you water, and did you fertelize when you started, and/or do you add liquid fertilizer?  

As a container is a small pot (been incrementing the size slowly and repotting accordingly, about a 5 inch pot currently), soil is peat moss, water only when it gets dry (nearly every day at this point) and fertilized once with 10-10-10.

Thanks all :surprised: seems that the buds are slowly opening! And again thanks for the warm welcome!! 

And I'm not joking, in the beginning I did, and even brushed them gently with my hand to have a feel for their state. Once I even tried classical music  :D  I like experimenting!

Thanks all, will keep you updated  :halo:

5 inches seems small, although I'm personally knew to growing, so I'm no expert by any means!  Ideally you want a 3 gallon pot, or even better a 5 gallon pot.  They can be grown in 1-2 gallon pots, but it's not ideal.  

When your flowers do open fully, unless you have a lot of bee's visiting them, I'd try hand pollinating.  Personally I started rubbing my Jalapeno flowers with my finger, just kinda rubbing it around the open flower, and nearly every open flower I've done that to has set and stared growing!  Before I was just "shaking" my plant, and wasn't getting results.  Now I have too many peppers growing :)

willard3 said:
Get a good book to read.

Patience is a virtue in chile growing
It's worse than watching paint dry!  I can't take it!  =P

I check on my plants all the time, I whisper them sweet nothings in their ears (I think its their ears I'm whispering into?)

I've been thinking about buying another TV to put out on my porch for my peppers to watch, do you think they'd like the home and garden channel?  

Your Jalapenos are growing great!  They almost look like they are catching up to mine!  Now you have me questioning why mine are growing so slow haha

Back