Dunkel time

I put off lagering for long enough. With Octoberfest approaching I wanted to make a Dunkel so I'll have something festive for the season.

The starter is churning. I'm hoping I'll have time to brew it later tonight. That way I can bring it down to pitch temp tomorrow morning and pitch. I'm going to let this starter rock all night then cold crash it, decant off the beer, and bring the slurry up to fermenting temp and pitch it.

Late night brew session.

Waiting for the break then rally time lol. I'll get it cold enough to rack to the carboy without cracking it, then I'll put it in the chamber to cool to pitch temp and pitch in the morning. Love the taste of this wort. Can't wait to get'r done.
Sitting at about 1.040 preboil. Target is around 1.050 for the SG. Looking like that should come true right now.

Yeah, lol, I went straight to bed once it was done. I even cleaned up this morning. Then we had stuff planned for my little guys birthday so after pitched the yeast we left.

Fermenting at 12C.

Ferment is chugging along. Definitely a different smell than I'm used to.

After it slows down in a couple of days, I'm going to let it free rise to 65 for a few days to D rest then drop it down to lager

Started the d-rest. Saturday I'll rack it over and lager for probably 3 weeks. After waiting all thy time, I may just keg it instead of bottling and waiting another 2-3 weeks lol.

D-rest over. Racked it over to secondary.

Really close to finished. Going to put it in with my other beers in the kegerator at 40F

Really happy with the taste of the sample. Malty, caramely goodness. Should be great after lagering.

Due to the CO2 leak at high pressure, I refilled my tank and I'm just carbing at 10psi. It will take longer, but at least I won't run out of gas.

It has some tiny bubbles in it right now. It taste great. I'm extremely happy with the flavor of this beer. I will probably brew another 5 gallon batch in the next month or so.

I'll post up a pic as soon as it's carbed up all the way, and is more photogenic :)

Ozzy2001 said:
Late night brew session.

Waiting for the break then rally time lol. I'll get it cold enough to rack to the carboy without cracking it, then I'll put it in the chamber to cool to pitch temp and pitch in the morning. Love the taste of this wort. Can't wait to get'r done.
Sitting at about 1.040 preboil. Target is around 1.050 for the SG. Looking like that should come true right now.
Sweeet.... no pun intended!       I remember reading vicious arguments on HBT about the SG numbers increasing after flame out..... Life is good!

Back