• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking for a thick walled superhot

Hi all, looking for some recommendations for some thicker walled superhots to grow next season.

I love scotch bonnets. Thinking maybe SBJ7 (red and yellow) might fit the bill. Are there any others I should consider?

Oh also it looks like the brain strains (red, yellow, chocolate) might also be good options.

Doesn't necessarily have to be "superhot" but I am looking for something hotter than bonnets and hotter than red savina/brown Congo habs

moruga welder said:
WARTRYX      :fireball: very thick walled .
Ha! I didn't realize they were thick walled. I have 5 or 6 of them on a small plant that had some early season bug issues. Can't wait to try it!

Buzzman19 said:
Yellow Cardi Scorpion, thick walled and hefty peppers.  Very citrusy and juicy when ripe, they dont have a great shelf life for this reason but a fantastic tasting pepper with decent heat....  probably 800k shu I think
Sounds good to me! I'll take a look the pods on those are gorgeous.

Buzzman19 said:
Yellow Cardi Scorpion, thick walled and hefty peppers.  Very citrusy and juicy when ripe, they dont have a great shelf life for this reason but a fantastic tasting pepper with decent heat....  probably 800k shu I think
+1.  These little buggers are definitely "hefty"-- my first inclination was to play ping pong with one; it seems like it'd bounce for hours before it got beat up.  Plenty hott, but not quite "Super Hot"-- they probably split the difference between a Red Savina and a Ghost.

Are you looking for the thick walls b/c you wanna smoke'm? Or do you just enjoy the tactile burst of biting into a thick-walled pod?

Bicycle808 said:
+1.  These little buggers are definitely "hefty"-- my first inclination was to play ping pong with one; it seems like it'd bounce for hours before it got beat up.  Plenty hott, but not quite "Super Hot"-- they probably split the difference between a Red Savina and a Ghost.

Are you looking for the thick walls b/c you wanna smoke'm? Or do you just enjoy the tactile burst of biting into a thick-walled pod?

Yea, I was thinking that 800k shu was the max, I have had some that I thought were respectable hot and others which I though hmmm.  But I guess with all the super, supers now 600-800k shu doesnt seem that hot but it is. 

I sell peppers at my local flea market and I still have people wince in pain at tasting samples of jalapeno type heat.  

cheers!

Yeah, heat is totally relative.  I think 800SHU is a good estimate for a TS CARDI... it's up to the guy eatin' it to decide whether that's hot or not.  For me, that's still crazy-hot, but some folks laugh 800shu off...

ajdrew said:
I don't think Red Sav. is generally considered a super hot, but it is mighty hot and has tremendously thick walls.  They are my favorite hot pepper to candy and dehydrate because when you are done, there is still something to chew.
this sounds fun. Can you share the process or is it proprietary? I have savina's coming now and mine are thick compared to other Habs for sure. Really crunchy and juicy. Plenty of pain for me.

Happy birthday also AJdrew

Bicycle808 said:

Little bit of both. I got some MOA bonnets in a box from Wicked Mike and thought they were awesome but I'm looking for a bit more heat. I like a pretty juicy pod and also am really interested in smoking some pods.

ajdrew said:
I don't think Red Sav. is generally considered a super hot, but it is mighty hot and has tremendously thick walls.  They are my favorite hot pepper to candy and dehydrate because when you are done, there is still something to chew.

I'll be growing Red Savina and chocolate habs as well. Happy birthday good sir!

Datil said:
Nagabon

Cya

Datil

Ooh, that nagabon sounds interesting. Not that familiar with datils but they look interesting. At first glance they look about as hot as a bonnet. What's a Cya I haven't seen or heard of that one before...

ajdrew said:

Some varient Ghost strains top out at about 500KSHU so I think it's time we reevaluated what counts as a superhot. Originally it was based on the million mark but perhaps the question of whether the walls are lined with placental tissue would be a better decider.

Back