• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Time to make the sauce

It is time to start making some sauces. First up will be a Yellow Jalapeno with roasted garlic and roasted onions.

Lets get started.

Sterilizing the bottles.

image.jpeg

My wife was nice enough to roast the garlic and onion while I was at work.

image.jpeg

The peppers cooking down in water.

image.jpeg

I will update the process as I go.

The peppers, onion, garlic, agave nectar, cumin, lime juice and vinegar all go into the Ninja and get blended. Mixture is then put into a food mill.

image.jpeg

Round and round it goes until it looks like this. Seeds and skin.

image.jpeg

Into the pot and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes. You can taste and tweak here if you like, or just let it go. Be careful not to burn sauce and bring it up to 190f to bottle.

image.jpeg

Shelf stable and into the basement for about a month.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 55
More I look at this the more I see a legit squash base mix that would work great
Contrast is a given,what squash offers is to be tasted
No more carrot here for sure
OH!
Also . . . . .try to steam off the veggies instead of boil,neat ass trick I learned :idea:
But YES always roast off the gooder's

TNKS said:
Also . . . . .try to steam off the veggies instead of boil,neat ass trick I learned :idea:

Well depends, if you're using the water as an ingredient you're not losing the flavor so boil or steam, no difference. Water can be cooked out but the flavor stays in the pot.

Correct Sir,but "boiling" is brutal
I steer from it at every chance
The Hot Pepper said:

Well depends, if you're using the water as an ingredient you're not losing the flavor so boil or steam, no difference. Water can be cooked out but the flavor stays in the pot.
Yes sir reduction(so to speak)

tctenten said:
The water gets boiled down as it cooks the veggies, there is always some residual water/juice that gets included in the sauce. I do not strain the water after the boil. If it is too thin after I run it through the foodmill, I just simmer it longer before bottling.

Correct Sir,#flash if you will
Hot and fast for a minimum and then allow for the rest of the process finish out and retain all in one place
Steam pods for about 5 min and pull them,then move forward to the bottle

grantmichaels said:
So this interesting ... because steam is more brutal than boiling, scientifically ...

Perhaps leveraging that can lead to cooking faster and therefore keeping more flavor in the fruits/veg, but in terms of cooking 'brutality' ... steam's more brutal =) ...

Also, y'all can debate the difference of simmer, bring to boil, full rolling boil, their merits and detriments.....

Recipes that say "bring up to temp/bring up to a boil" don't necessarily mean keep it at a full rolling boil for an hour.  A gently simmer will break down the pulp, and that can happen at 190-200F.  Keep in mind that's measuring the temp at the top of a gently simmering pot....

Nice looking and sounding sauce '1010!

Back