• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The heat 'curve' of different peppers

I'm not sure if this is a real thing or just perception - but I was wondering why the heat of some peppers seems to hit hard and then level out nicely - I would say Habaneros might be an example of that - but other peppers start slow and then seem to build up in heat as you eat them - I find this with Indian curries where the heat often just builds and builds.

Different breeds of peppers taste different - so do they also have a different 'curve' - i.e. their level of heat acts differently?

I'm asking because I was speaking with some Malaysian friends of mine about some hot sauce I made and they said it was initially a bit hotter than they were expecting - but it didn't have the after-build that they would expect from an oriental sauce.

Just curious - thanks.

/ J

Good questions. We have all experienced this with peppers. Maybe some experts can explain it.

And welcome to The Hot Pepper!

Do a search for THP member Nigel, check out his reviews of various peppers. Although there are many out there, I found Nigel to be the most descriptive reviewer who can eat a super hot and explain how long it takes for heat to build and how long it lasts as well as taste. He can do all that without making you watch facial agony followed by spitting, puking and all around whining about how hot it is.
I actually chose some of my peppers to grow based on his review of them.

The "thing" in chiles that gives them the sensation of heat are chemical compounds know as CAPSAICINOIDS.  

There are over 20 different capsaicinoid compounds, (google it for more info) and they are present in different chiles in different amounts.  The single most prominent compound is Capsaicin (usually over 50% in most chiles), followed by nordihydrocapsaicin, dihydrocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, etc, so they all kinda get lumped under the single name of capsaicin, even though it should be capsaicinoid compounds.  ( I know   :rolleyes:  )

Each pod and each chile variety contain different amounts of these different capsaicinoid compounds.  Each compound will affect the mouth and body differently.  Hence, some will hit hard and fast then fade quick, some have the slow creeping burn...

Hawaiianero said:
Do a search for THP member Nigel, check out his reviews of various peppers. Although there are many out there, I found Nigel to be the most descriptive reviewer who can eat a super hot and explain how long it takes for heat to build and how long it lasts as well as taste. He can do all that without making you watch facial agony followed by spitting, puking and all around whining about how hot it is.
I actually chose some of my peppers to grow based on his review of them.

I totally agree that Nigel offers the best reviews.... it's almost like a play-by-play account of the heat's arc through his taste buds.  His are highly nuanced descriptions, and he reviews everything from sweet stuff to superhots.  I get the impression he's doing it to inform, rather than to sensationalize things.

salsalady said:
The "thing" in chiles that gives them the sensation of heat are chemical compounds know as CAPSAICINOIDS.  

There are over 20 different capsaicinoid compounds, (google it for more info) and they are present in different chiles in different amounts.  The single most prominent compound is Capsaicin (usually over 50% in most chiles), followed by nordihydrocapsaicin, dihydrocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, etc, so they all kinda get lumped under the single name of capsaicin, even though it should be capsaicinoid compounds.  ( I know   :rolleyes:  )

Each pod and each chile variety contain different amounts of these different capsaicinoid compounds.  Each compound will affect the mouth and body differently.  Hence, some will hit hard and fast then fade quick, some have the slow creeping burn...

There you go using them big words again, Ann!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:lol: big technical words like "thing".... :lol:

~ just be glad I didn't reference the correlation to other 'NOIDS....like ....  cannabinoids.....  :lol:

Speaking of...

Any of you chileheads tried smoking a chile? Perchance even mixed together with other -oids  :high:

:P

salsalady said:
Thanks @salsalady - great answer, much appreciated.

Back