• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Clearing a field after frost???

So how do you clear after first frost?  I generally let things stand until crunchy, then till under in spring. 

I chop it all down, cut the plants into little pieces and use them to make compost along with leaves and grass clippings. 
     Hot composting helps break the chain of foliar disease.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I chop it all down, cut the plants into little pieces and use them to make compost along with leaves and grass clippings. 
     Hot composting helps break the chain of foliar disease.
Do you mean by hand?  Maybe a lawn mower with a bag?

ajdrew said:
Do you mean by hand?  Maybe a lawn mower with a bag?

Unfortunately no. I use a hand pruner. A very sharp hand pruner, at least. And lots of beer. 
     If I used my lawnmower, it would never forgive me. Those stems get to be pretty tough and woody come October.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Unfortunately no. I use a hand pruner. A very sharp hand pruner, at least. And lots of beer. 
     If I used my lawnmower, it would never forgive me. Those stems get to be pretty tough and woody come October.
Wow that seems like a of work. On the beer, help me out here. All the operators manuals for power tools warn not to drink while operating the thing. Why then does my riding lawn mower have a cup holder?

Back