• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Coffee Sauce Test batch

Been wanting to try this for a long while now :)

7oz each Red/Orange sweet peppers. 14oz Total.
.5oz Indian Monsoon Coffee, Full city roast. (ground first before adding)
1.5 oz dried Mango.
1 large Garlic clove
1/2tsp Salt
1tbsp Smoked Paprika
.4 oz Jamaican Yellow Chilies
1/4 cup Org ACV

Blitz ingredients except Mango, add Mango and let soak for 30min then Blitz.
Bottle and leave a week to age etc..

P1100197_CoffeePepper-600_zpsokrnggi8.jpg

I had to re-read the recipe to catch why the mango wasn't added, then it was, then it soaked for 30 minutes... :lol:  :crazy: me...

Did you do any cooking?  or just raw ingredients?  Sounds really interesting.  Are the dark bits the coffee?

I don't know if I'd use grounds, I'd use actual coffee, or instant (since it's freeze dried coffee) that would dissovle in it, or get my hands on cold brew concentrate before they dilute it somehow... mmmmm.... well sounds good. But don't those grounds create a bad mouthfeel? Shit, I had a couple in my coffee yesterday and was cursing the place lol.

Yeah def try instant. You can buy quality coffee still instant. 

http://amzn.to/2bHauT3

Or freeze dried espresso like Scovie says.

That sauce looks good for BBQ/wings. The grill will take care of those grounds lol.

I only use espresso because it's a little stronger so I can use less. It's not a cost thing but a pungency thing. I like the flavor without it being a "Coffee Sauce" so to speak.

This is the brand I buy. About $7 for 2 oz. Is that expensive? LOL Now that I typed it out, it sounds expensive.

13476840.jpeg

As much as I love things that coffee flavor, icecream, etc... I really dislike them when they are made with instant. It changes the flavor waaaay to much for me in a very negative way.  I would make a concentrate maybe, but would avoid the instant stuff.

In a sauce it's fine you only want essence of coffee really. Like if you added tequila to a BBQ sauce I doubt you'd add Don Julio because of taste.

That's funny because there's NO WAY I would drink instant stuff. For me it's like a dried spice.

I've only ever used the instant espresso, is adding straight coffee grounds that much different? Besides the texture?

Yeah, I don't eat grounds and you didn't make coffee with them so how can you complain about using instant which is actually coffee? lol

Well when things like frosting, or ice cream, etc... are flavored with instant. I find them inedible, the instant tastes that bad. Where as I really like these flavored with actual coffee.

Try frosting with coffee grounds pretty sure you'd toss it. So if he likes grounds in sauce already instant is an improvment.

Scoville DeVille said:
Oh snap! nothing wrong with chocolate either! My cooking choice is IBARA Mexican chocolate. You need to grate it, and it will disappear in your sauce. Not too sweet, not too bitter.
Very interesting. I never thought about adding this to a hot sauce. Thinking it could go well with smoked Jalapenos.

Yeah, if instant isn't your thing, my choice would be to brew a concentrated batch and use that rather than straight grounds.

You bet tc1010, I am kind of partial to Mexican flavors that aren't fruit based so the smoky, tomatoey type sauces are my faves. Chocolate is a great sweetener in lieu of carrots or the like. Smoked Peños and chocolate were made for each other. And also, coffee. LOL

ibarra-chocolate-ice-cream-013.jpg

Gave it a taste yesterday. Was great fruity overall taste, coffee flavor not jumping out, have to pay close attention for a coffee flavor. No grit flavor, if you rub your tongue on the roof of the mouth with the sauce then you can feel the soft texture. Was very low heat.
Will do it again using extract and double the coffee amount.

Back