• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chernobyl Tears

My hot sauces for this year ready for sell :D

14102298_186217988455990_415632282404769901_n.jpg

14102160_186218435122612_1503690509095974930_n.jpg

10277045_186221191789003_5845858513775731270_n.jpg

14124298_186223035122152_328219805103473179_o.jpg

I would not want to profit from any disaster, manmade or natural, no matter how large or small. Unless it was a disaster that in no way impacted anyone's life. [that's my personal feeling, to each...]

The Hiroshima one, I'm embarrassed if that's an American sauce.

Holy Shit. The names...

"Chile Flash"

"Jalapeño Drop"

and

"Sweet Release"

Sauces like that will never make the big time. In fact I would bet they probably got sick of the comments and the explaining and quit making it in 2014. I might be a little over sensitive about this topic having a father that immigrated to Canada at from Germany in 1949 at 21.

You're not over-sensitive, I cringed when I saw that name years ago on a blog. For perspective just imagine a "9/11 Inferno" sauce. Imagine the uproar. That's all. This is not a PC thing, it's a human thing, for me.

I see it the same way. Just because Chernobyl and Heroshima happened before these sauce makers were probably born does not make it ok. They were events where mass people died. I just read, that this coming school year, kids will start learning about that day 9/11 in school as "American History". 

The OP is in Croatia, we don't know what the feeling is over there.  The sauces look good, and I wish him best of luck with his sales. 

I hope we don't totally derail this thread.

I wished him luck too SL and I agree.

It is controversial however and he's going to get those comments so maybe this will help him prepare.

I've been thinking about this and wondering...

There are lots of sauces on the market with references to -
Nuclear
Meltdown
Plutonium
Radiation burn
Etc.

Maybe the difference is the above mentioned sauces reference specific historical events, all of which had huge impacts on real peoples lives.  I think that's where the sensitivity comes in.  These events were man-made, as opposed to something like "Kilauea Sludge"  which is a natural occurring volcano. 

Yeah, and if he wanted to sell them for real, I would suggest some sort of a description, ingredients, website link or something. This is when I get the idea that the sauce makers aren't serious, just selling a "catchy name". I'm not saying that's what's going on, just my view of it all.

Good luck.

edit- that was a made up sauce name....(afaik...)

Yes SL it is the referencing of a specific tragedy that would make people feel uncomfortable and exploited.

It is evident it is not offensive to all by your post, so if you see a market, then others do. Just not everyone would agree.

PS. The OP knows the name is controversial, there's no way he could go from proof of concept to bottling and not give it a thought. So at this point it is part of the marketing.

So he probably welcomes the discussion.

regarding the Thick Skin, we've had similar discussions regarding my Pure Evil, which some can have issues with~ 

We really do wish Rossi much success!  The sauces look really nice.  Just a sideline discussion about the name. 
SL

hey, it's not SofaKing Hot sauce.... :rolleyes:   I've triedsome sauces from well known "award winning" makers and they ended up in the trash. 

don't judge a book by the cover, especially when the book is in a foreign language.

Back