• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wierd browning/yellowing of Carolina Reaper leaves

Hey THP!

I joined here with a problem with my Reaper this spring, and that plant has been nothing but trouble since then. It got good for a while, and I thought it was doing great, putting out branches all over, and starting to produce flower buds. But now the leaves are starting to turn yellow with brown spots along the veins of the leaves, and they fall off right after turning to a yellow color. 

I live in Denmark, which means the season is slowly coming to an end now.

The primary goal of growing chilies this year was to try a Carolina Reaper fruit, but it sparked my interest in growing, and now I have Numex Twillight, Copenhagen Bhut, Scorpion (which i stupidly ate raw), Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, and a couple Carolina Reapers.

Images of my reaper problem. Along with a couple of smaller ones that were planted at the same time, but i pruned hard, to get a bushier plant.
http://imgur.com/a/W9BPS

Thanks for helping

//Søren

Doesn't look like much of a problem to me. Lower leaves will often go yellow and drop. Since the upper canopy is nicely green i'd say you have a healthy plant right there. Best of luck there!

fertilizer said:
Doesn't look like much of a problem to me. Lower leaves will often go yellow and drop. Since the upper canopy is nicely green i'd say you have a healthy plant right there. Best of luck there!

I wish! But the plant with the dropping leaves is losing flowers all over the upper canopy aswell. Probably lost 5 - 10 leaves each day for the past 10 days or so. I'll take a picture of the upper part of the problem-plant tomorrow morning when I'll be home again.

Those plants look pretty good to me. I am no expert but could be over watering, soil looks pretty damp and when I have heavy rain issues it results in yellowing leaves, leaf drop and flower drop.

I have some leaves that are 'old' and yellowing...but didn't notice them having dark veins like yours. Clue maybe? ...Perhaps get an affected leaf and see if you can knock off any mites on a piece of white paper. They're super small but if you see any tiny black specs moving...you'll need to think about treating for them.
-
Other than that, the plants look good!

Thanks for the replies!

I still haven't exactly figured out what might be wrong with the plant. I bought a pH/soil-humidity tester, and it seems fine with a pH around 6. I did find several woodlice (armadillo bug, or whatever it's called) hiding in the base om the pot. The plant is currently residing in a 25 L (6 gallon) pot.

Thanks for the mite-suggestion, but unfortunately that was not the case either. I tried to knock mites of 3 seperate affected leaves, and there weren't any to find. 

It hasn't dropped the 12 fruits that are still on there, but it is still loosing leaves. Not just along the stem, but also newer leaves in the upper canopy of the plant. 

A picture of the afflicted plant:
OWIaBZx.jpg

Are you fertilizing it? It looks like it could be nitrogen deficient. The pods look quite small and the plant is probably pulling the nitrogen out of the lower leaves (yellowing) to feed the new growth.

Id lean to agree with Schdez. What does your fertilizer program look like? I would say possibly some micronutrients with definite nitrogen and phosphorus problems. Let's us know your fertilizer inputs and the frequency to diagnose.
Your plants definetly look yellow

I'm using a 2-2-2 liquid chili fertilizer, and I usually add the feed to the water 4 times in a row, after which I water without feed. I follow the directions on the bottle for dilution of the fertilizer. 

I started putting in the space, because I had a problem with over feeding that specific plant a couple months ago. 

I've been wanted to get my hands on some epsom salt, as I have not tried that approach yet. Would that be a good idea? And where can I find it? 

I took a closer look at your photo. It's definitely not a nutritional disorder. I say this because your other plants actually look fine. The brown specs/spots are indicative of a bacterial spot or speck disease. Without more up close photos it's hard to tell, but lower leaves dropping with younger leaves remaining towards top of canopy with fruit remaining is a common result of this bacterial problem. Some times fruit is affected sometimes not. There is not much you can do but root it out of this is indeed the problem. No nutritional disorder causes brown Leaf viens with sporadic small brown spots that I know of.

Thanks for the replies!
So if the plant is affected by this bacterial disease, should i isolate it from the rest of the plants?
And what would be the best thing to do about it?
When you say I have to root it out, do you mean I should just give up on it?
Are the fruits gonna be safe to eat if they make it?

Finally got my hands on some Epsom salt. My local nursery had no clue as to what i was talking about, so i ordered it online. 

How do I use the Epsom Salt? I was planning on using it as a foliar feed. How should I dilute it? How much do I spray on each plant? And how often should I apply the salt? 

Back