• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Re-hydrating peppers

I have been reading a lot of things here, and one thing has got me thinking.  I often see people talking about re-hydrating peppers and every time they are doing it with water.  My question is this, knowing that some of the compounds in peppers are not water soluble, but are soluble in alcohol, would re-hydrating peppers in another liquid, say, beer or...well really all i got at this point is beer, be a good thing or a bad thing.

Dehydrating is removing water, rehydrating is adding it back. So it must have water content whether that is juice or an alcoholic beverage or whatever.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Just find out what you like and do that, I like to do mine in oils when cooking. 

You can't rehydrate with oil, a hydrate is a substance that contains water. Also it just won't work, you're just coating a dry pepper in oil. What did you mean exactly? I'm sure whatever you do works just not sure what you meant.

I think that fat and alcohol in a dish might help to spread the flavor of the pepper.  But just crumbling a died pepper seems to disperse it just fine for me.  Then simmering lets it spread around.  I don't do any separate rehydrating step.

The Hot Pepper said:
Dehydrating is removing water, rehydrating is adding it back. So it must have water content whether that is juice or an alcoholic beverage or whatever.

You can't rehydrate with oil, a hydrate is a substance that contains water. Also it just won't work, you're just coating a dry pepper in oil. What did you mean exactly? I'm sure whatever you do works just not sure what you meant.
I mean f rehydrating, that is what drinking beer is for. ;) 

Back