• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

RIP Gene Wilder

14107856_1104203439665151_3366881645231753094_o_zpsxpxzbnim.jpg

The candy man makes, everything he makes, satisfying and delicious.

You will be missed mr WILLY WONKA

In 1971, Wilder auditioned to play Willy Wonka in Mel Stuart's film adaptation of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After reciting some lines, Wilder prepared to leave the auditioning station, but Mel Stuart (who was a fan of Wilder) ran after him and offered the role to him immediately. Wilder was initially hesitant when he learned more on the role, but finally accepted the role under one condition:

"When I make my first entrance, I'd like to come out of the door carrying a cane and then walk toward the crowd with a limp. After the crowd sees Willy Wonka is a cripple, they all whisper to themselves and then become deathly quiet. As I walk toward them, my cane sinks into one of the cobblestones I'm walking on and stands straight up, by itself... but I keep on walking, until I realize that I no longer have my cane. I start to fall forward, and just before I hit the ground, I do a beautiful forward somersault and bounce back up, to great applause."

When Stuart asked why, Wilder replied, "Because from that time on, no one will know if I'm lying or telling the truth."

Sheer brilliance that set the tone for the entire film.

He will be missed. I saw one of if not his last interview at his home. It was on Youtube if you care to see it.

Loved Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles. Its one of the very first DvDs i ever bought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8RbYqZnFvE

Back