• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Do you want to build high tunnel?

Used University of Kentucky plans to build a high tunnel last fall.  It is 40' x 12'.  I have spotted areas where it can be improved greatly.  Kentucky Department of Agriculture has a grant for small farmers and i fall right in there.  i have to put serious plans together to apply for the grant. Plans have to have prices for every part and where I plan to buy them.

So am wondering, since I gotta do the work for them anyway would someone here be interested in the plans when they are done?  Would anyone want to look at them and give input?  Kind of scared asking for a grant n all, thought maybe turn it into a community thing would make me feel less scared.

Not sure if they are still doing it but I got my 3,000 sq ft tunnel for almost free thrugh the usda. They were running grants for quite a while. I'm a big fan of tunnels. I was putting out 600 lbs of maters 75-100lbs of bells and loads of habs a week last year. Ventilation is key. With your "niche" operation you should be a shoe in. Good luck!

Schedz, 3,000 square.. damn. The one i built is 12 x40 so 480.  The ones I am pitching to KY are the same foot print but 3 feet taller.  Yep, learned from the first one that i need roll up sides.  That is where the extra three feet come from.

Scoville n Lovespeppers - Thanks for the kudos.  Friend who is helping put fire under my ass last night, have not slept working on plans.  Kate is coming over this weekend to photograph things. I am working my ass off getting things weeded, mulched,and tilled between the rows so they look good. 

We were planning one new tunnel a year but this could really push us forward faster.  Last couple of years selling online have been great, but really want to get back to a normal life where I don't panic over filling the propane tank each winter.  I think this could do that.

Back