• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shishito pepper help

First year doing shishitos. What are your guidelines for harvesting? I can't find any specifics other than "Harvest when lime green and measure 3-5 inches". Have checked youtube/google/here

I have quite a few that have reached this 3-5 inch mark pretty damn quickly. I know eventually they ripen red so i decided to leave them on the plant a bit to see if I can notice any real change in their shade of green. I'm not seeing it after weeks and the pod isn't getting any larger. No move towards red.

Am i overthinking it? Is the size/length good enough or do they need time still for more flavor?

Thanks! 

Mine will stay green and the same size for awhile. If it's not grown in weeks its probably not growing anymore.

This is a small Shishito in my garden that quit growing and started to turn.

seussiii said:
Nice, yea I went ahead and pulled some.... Pretty damn amazing cooked up... Shame I got a super late start... Next season it's on

They do make a good stir fry - they are good after they turn red also (if you can leave any on the plant that long !)

Agreed, good red and a little warmer too. Since they're quite prolific, I just grab when I want some and don't think too much about it. If the grill is on, you can bet a hand full will be on it at some point.

Back