• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination Greenhouse on a Shoestring Budget

So I am a new grower that is less that well to do in the wallet so that calls for desperate measures. I saw this on a video on youtube and thought I would give it a try. My folks were in town visiting and my wife was cooking breakfast and tossed out an egg carton and then another!  I quickly snatched them up and cut the tops out and put saran wrap over the cut out top with tape and tah dah! A all but free green house. I have since made 8 more. Oh yeah, I also poked 4 holes in the bottom of each egg pit for drainage. And not wanting anything to go in the landfill that dont need to, I had my mother cut up the tops I cut out and cut in to slats that i could use as ID tags for sprouts!

Here is a shot of it. I have loads more but after 1 or two angles you get the jist of it pretty much. Am I cheap or frugal?

and

And look at all that styrofoam that I kept from going in the landfills. ;-) Two benefits in one job!

Thanks for looking. If you have any other ideas for a new grower just getting started on a shoe string budget, please hit me up with ideas.

Take care gals/guys!

Ray

Keep the egg shells also and use them as a starting cup - crack the eggs near the top and keep the rest in one piece and fill with soil and place the seeds in them - doing this saves buying starter pots and when transplanting you just crack the shell up and leave it in the soil in the new pot or ground and they provide some calcium to the plant as they break down during the season.

1f1671e638786364c527fed8fa8b1cfa.jpg

A Ferrero Rocher chocolates tray also makes for a great mini-greenhouse, and no modifications are necessary.
20150429_174351.jpg

Placed on a heat mat, they'll germinate even the most stubborn of seeds.
20150504_201800.jpg

I don't put any holes in the tray for drainage, I'm just careful not to over water. I also fill up the clear bottom tray with water so that the water can better distribute the heat from the heat mat to the soil.

Note: A modem was used as a heat mat in this case, now that's what you call cheap!  :dance:

SR. 

A Spicy English Cheapskate said:
500g yogurt pots are good for potting on seedlings. Just cuts some holes for drainage. Also the top of the fridge is normally a good temp for germination.

I did speak to my wife about the top of the refrigerator and she said go for it since she can't use the cabinets above it any how. lol She is to short, and cant reach them. lol

cdubb2010 said:
Love it man! I assume you water them from the top with this set up, wonder if theres a neat and clean way to bottom water with the egg carton?

Should be able to bottom water by poking a few holes in the bottom of the egg cups in the tray prior to putting in the starter soil and then placing that tray into the lid portion of the carton (ie. cut the top portion of the egg carton off ( the lid) - and use that as a water tray to set the bottom portion in.) Of course will not work too well if using cardboard egg cartons ;)

THough I normally soak the seeds for a few hours before planting and normally do not need to provide any more water after the initial watering since the seeds will absorb pretty much all the water they need during soaking - or perhaps one or two spritzings with a spray bottle if the soil dries out completely.

Well, basically I will use them for is germinating so no need to water since I will water the soil when I mix it and a final spritz after the seeds are planted before lid gets closed. Once they germinate and gain a short inch or so, they'll go in the 2 solo cup method.

I don't see why you couldn't bottom water. Seems as though it should work.

Back