• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jackpot!!!

Even though I am growing several varieties at home I still go to the local farmer's market for produce most Tuesdays. Every now and then I find some habaneros or something interesting. Once I found Fatallis. Well today I hit the jackpot. I went to the first stand that I usually find peppers at and nothing but jalapenos and cherry hots. Then I walked to the next one and there they were Fatalli and Peach Habaneros. I bought about a half bushel of the fatalli and two pints of the peach habs. I knew it was a good day! Now to make sauce... So what is the best find that you have had at a store/market?

I guess I am lucky. There are several stores around here where I can get serranos, jalapenos, habaneros, poblanos, cubanelles, and more year round. I've yet to find nagas though. I still have never had a ripe naga.:( Someone help me...please.

Without a doubt, this was my best find at a local produce market. Usually, it's just jals and serranos.

Chris

P1060068.jpg

P1060066.jpg

P1060064.jpg

JayT said:
I guess I am lucky. There are several stores around here where I can get serranos, jalapenos, habaneros, poblanos, cubanelles, and more year round. I've yet to find nagas though. I still have never had a ripe naga.:( Someone help me...please.
Well if you have patience I can send you some this time next year when I grow them haha. I am sure someone on here will hook you up.

That is a big part of the reason I want some, so I can get some seeds and grow my own next year.

JayT said:
That is a big part of the reason I want some, so I can get some seeds and grow my own next year.
Well in that case you have enough posts, why don't you hop in on the parcel being shipped around, that thing has nagas in it. Otherwise depending on how many seeds I receive from a generous individual this week I will be more than happy to share.

I don't want to join the parcel since I really don't have much to share. Would feel bad taking and only having 4-5 of the most common varieties you can get to share. Next year after I grow some more exotics I will join and share. Thanks for the offer Josh. I have received a couple of pms offering me seeds, thanks guys.

All I can find in stores here are either Cayenne/Thai peppers, the ones you get everywhere and some sets of peppers, most of them contain 1 Hab, 1 Jalapeno, sometimes a Scotch Bonnet or Fresno and a handful of the Thais mentioned above. Sometimes I'm buying those during the winter.

There is a store selling fresh pods by mail if you don't live nearby. He has lots of good stuff like Nagas, various Habs, Jalapenos, Pimentos and alyways sth new. Another store sells Habs, Lemon Drop, Serrano and the likes by mail. At least it's possible to get stuff, but not by just walking into a store I'm afraid.

The best,I found is a Red Habanero (wich they have marked as Habanera?) and multi colored Cayennes marked, Ancient Hots. For the most part, Jalapenos, Banana, Wax and Poblanos.

I buy Anhaime, Serrano (need connections with this one), African Birdseye (local market only), Red Sultan (Biggest chile ever seen... Big Jim looks tiny compared), Moroccan Paprika, Hot Moroccan Paprika, Yellow Naharia (Israeli pepper), Red Bell, Sweet Bite, Miniature Bell, Jalapeno (this one farmer I know is growing them), Berbere (from an Ethiopian guy that imports dry ones), Kashmiri (local market and only dry - directly from the homeland), Sha'te [African (Egyptian/Sudanese) Cayenne type] and I think that's about it. I grow the rest. :D

Chiliac said:
Never heard of Red Sultan, got any pics? Sounds cool...
Couldn't find anything on it online, or even a different named chile that looks similar. will do my best remembering taking a picture next time in the market. bli neder. :)

Chiliac said:
So I take it you are not growing them? Too bad, I was about to ask for seeds!
More to remember... gah!!!
Anyhow, I've seen some Whippets Tail "like" chiles being sold as "Sultan", but the Red Sultan a fat chile. :P

My pleasure, just that I personally have a serious problem of remembering things. actually just writing it down reminded me some urgent things I should have done a while back. :oops:

Back