• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Basic smoked peppers

So, I am looking to smoke some of the peppers I have grown this year, possibly putting them in a dehydrator later and then powderizing them.  I have the following questions:

1) At what temp should I smoke the peppers and for how long?
2) Should I cut the peppers in half before putting them in the smoker?
3) What type of wood do people use most when smoking peppers?

Thanks in advance!

bpiela said:
So, I am looking to smoke some of the peppers I have grown this year, possibly putting them in a dehydrator later and then powderizing them.  I have the following questions:

Thanks in advance!

1.  Depends on how much smoke flavor you want.  I usually do it of 2-4 hours. I also cold smoke them…no heat.
2.  I do.  In my mind it allows for the smoke to penetrate better.  I could be 100% wrong
3.  Apple, cherry, pecan, alder….really is personal preferences.  

1.) Any time you dry peppers any warmer than 140º F, you are cooking them. When I dry peppers, I keep it at about 110º F. Any warmer than that and they will lose their vibrant color but since you are smoking them, color doesn't really matter.

2.) Absofrickenlutely.

3.) It's up to you, I prefer sweeter woods like Apple and Cherry, but Mesquite and Hickory can be more pungent. Experiment!

I love any fruit wood but cherry is my favorite. I like a stronger smoke flavor so i smoke mine more like 180 deg halved for 5/6 hours and keep a water pan to help with hydration. I get mine to be slighly shrunk in size and somewhat discolored when blending into sauces i can add desired amount to get the smoke flavor i want to my fresh pepper mash or blend. In  my exper the shorter smoked peppers were not producing the quality smoke flavor i was looking for. I also use a pellet smoker to smoke peppers this is a factor on my longer smokes and my peppers are never dried out. This is a good control method for getting that smoke flavor just right. Lots of great replys as usual :)

Smoking red jalapeños in my brick oven , 140f on a bamboo skewer with a single cut down the side , 3hours or so , they are still pretty moist at this point.. I use local ironwood, ( hop hornbeam) gives a mesquite like tang ,
I am hoping to get a chipotle knockoff. Did it with Maya habanero peppers last year , grinding in the old Braun coffee mill was exciting, wear a N90 mask !

Back