Oatmeal Cookie Porter

Finally felt well enough today to brew this batch up. I've been thinking about this one for quite awhile. This is just a test run 3gal batch. I'm hoping it will be pretty good since I'm hoping to make this Christmas presents for holiday time.
I'll post the recipe a little later. I'm about halfway through the mash right now.

More deets to follow.

Ended up with a OG of 1.076. According to Beersmith it should have been 1.086. I need to figure out why I'm so far off. That's at 70% efficiency too. I think my next purchase may be a better mill. I have a feeling that I may be losing some points on that. It also could have been because I toasted the flaked oats. Perhaps that lowered the available sugar.

Fermentation fridge smells heavenly.

Transferred to the secondary last night. I promise I will get the recipe posted up this week lol.

Finished a little high at 1.022, which puts it at about 6.5% ABV.

Added this little concoction of yum.

6 ozs of blackstrap molasses, 3 ozs Puerto Rican rum, 1/2 vanilla bean, and a cinnamon stick. I let it all soak together over the weekend. The jar smelled great. I poured the hydro sample into the poured out jar to get an idea of what it may taste like.

Pretty excited to see how it turns out. After thinking about it over the weekend I may put Fireball in the mix instead of the rum. We'll see hot it turns out.

Guess I waited to long to edit the first post to add the recipe, but here it is.

7 lbs 7.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 % 
14.9 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 % 
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 % 
4.5 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.0 % 
2.2 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.5 % 
2.2 oz De-bittered Black malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.5 % 
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 22.7 IBUs 
0.60 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 - 
0.06 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 - 
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 10 - 
That's for a 3 gal batch.

It's not all carbed up yet. I have a small leak that emptied my tank at that high pressure :/.

I think there is too much molasses though. It's too sweet for my taste. I will say that Wheebz is absolutely spot on with it being a substitute for the raisins.

I'll wait for it to carb up all the way before I dump it, but I'm pretty sure it's getting dumped. When I rebrew it, I'll keep everything in the recipe the same.

In the secondary I'm going to lower the molasses down to an ounce, and use Fireball whiskey instead of the rum. Hopefully, that will get it where I think it should be.

Inside. 3gal. Going to lower the molasses in the secondary considerably. Going to go from 3ozs to .75-1oz. I'd rather be low and want to add some next time.

Back