• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Akabanga-like chili oil?

I don't know if everyone has heard of this Rwandan chili oil, Akabanga. It comes in a little eye dropper bottle, and the only ingredients are "80% yellow pepper and 20% sun seeds oil."

It seems different than the chili oils that are just dried chilies and other flavorings steeped in oil. I think they just purée the peppers and oil together and somehow separate the oil from the solids and water.

I noticed that my last batch of hot sauce had a nice layer of oil that separated out while sitting in the fridge for a few days. And this was from a pepper-only ferment that only had added salt, sugar, and vinegar. So, I'd assume this was just natural oil from the hot peppers.

I really want to make some of this chili oil. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I figured I would try juicing the peppers(or purée and strain through cheesecloth), diluting it down with a little neutral oil, and allowing the mix to separate in the fridge. Then skimming the oil off the other liquid. Of course, I could still use the strained solids and liquids for other sauces, so it wouldn't be such a waste. Because I'm sure this would yield a very small amount of oil.

Any thoughts?
This is just some ideas I had, and hopefully will try out sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Maybe I should look into steam distilling. I've heard of a cheap and easy way people use for essential oils at home. Hah...how about some 7-Pot essential oil!

Back