• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Vintage '16

The freezer is just about full of pods, so it is time to start making some sauces. The plum sauce is a return from last year and the Yellapeno is a new one.

image.jpeg

I picked up an interesting combination of peppers, three that I would like to try to make a sauce with together, but I'm not sure.  They are red jalapenos, red Hatch chiles, and Jay's peach ghost scorpions.  I think those three with a couple fruits, some rice vinegar, some honey, and some herb or spice that makes you say hmmm could be great.  Then again, I am not sure about the Hatch in there.  I might just leave them out and roast & freeze them.  Thoughts?

JayT said:
I picked up an interesting combination of peppers, three that I would like to try to make a sauce with together, but I'm not sure.  They are red jalapenos, red Hatch chiles, and Jay's peach ghost scorpions.  I think those three with a couple fruits, some rice vinegar, some honey, and some herb or spice that makes you say hmmm could be great.  Then again, I am not sure about the Hatch in there.  I might just leave them out and roast & freeze them.  Thoughts?
This is my first year growing Hatch and I have been drying them all to use in chili, spice blends. I think they would be fine in a sauce from tasting them raw. I have never had a Jay's peach but I would ise them to kick ip the heat of the sauce if you want. I have some red jals in the freezer. They are going to get smoked and then sauced with cherries, toasted cumin, mexican chocolate and vinegar.
grantmichaels said:
Waiting for the pure charapita jar! :rofl:
I still have not harvested them. It will happen eventually.

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

I made some infused oil tonight. The oil is Grapeseed and the pods are 'Bum's Hot Rod cross that was smoked then dehydrated and GM's Mystery Citrus.

The 8 oz woozy's are a great way to share and they have a wide enough neck to get the peppers in there.

I love the way the bleeding calyx looks in the bottle.

Did you heat them at all? I think I remember something about low heat making them infuse better.

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

I made some infused oil tonight. The oil is Grapeseed and the pods are 'Bum's Hot Rod cross that was smoked then dehydrated and GM's Mystery Citrus.

The 8 oz woozy's are a great way to share and they have a wide enough neck to get the peppers in there.

I love the way the bleeding calyx looks in the bottle.

Bums serrano x maui purp make a nice pepper vinegar too. 

Back