• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Yellow Reaper, Primo, and Moruga

I got a funny email that made me start to think.  The email was based on the Primo Reaper same thing war, but we were talking yellow peppers.  I think it most likely the yellow versions of these peppers were created by crossing rather than random mutation.  So to me it seems the odds of three different breeders crossing with the same second pepper are low.

Still, have observed that yellow primo does sometimes throw some Trinidad moruga scorpion shaped pods now and then.  Do you think it is possible that some of today's variety are the result of refining dna for certain traits even though they seem to have been created by crossing?  Maybe someone crossed primo with something else to make it yellow, then refined both the yellow primo and yellow moruga out of the same cross?

Gotta admit, we tend to assign names by shapes more than anything else.  Not talking what is the most proper way to name a thing.  Really dig on Mr. Taylor nameing the Chocolate Primo Reaper.  Just talking how it actually happens that some variety come into existence.  Naming for popularity and marketing is definitely in there.

The thing about naming pods, look alikes, etc., is the fact that these peppers are rarely what the creator thinks they are. They get two generations with similarities, then try to shock the world with the peppers. The fact is is that we wouldn't have all of these different types if people weren't having accidental, or even purposeful, crosses.
This is what bothers me the most about this community. I got into this thing we all love because I like the burn and like sharing it, helping spread it, etc. But there are too many people trying to get their 5 minutes of fame by saying "oooh, look at me! I have something new and shiny!" I guarantee that there are 10 other people at any given time who have bad ass crosses. Just not everyone decides to try to make it famous. And if getting famous is what you're all about, go about it differently. That is how Neil Smith is the pepper God he is. He wasn't trying to make him self famous. He went on YouTube and ate every damn pepper he could get his hands on. A funny little catch phrase here and there helped him, too!
The point is, I have respect for the people in the pepper world that are in it because they like to burn their mouth and their butt. I have ZERO respect for people that are just trying to fluff their own tails and make themselves look cool.
(No disrespect to you, AJ. My statement is in general, not towards your post.)

I have to agree fully with Hot Pooper,  I personally believe the Primo and Reaper are waaay too similar, and yes I have fresh pods in hand of both at the time of this post, they taste and look almost identical in every aspect. My isssue isnt with crosses and naming so much, as it is with people trying to make money by deception etc.. Cappy never trademarked his Brain Strain , neither did Troy with the Primo or numerous other people with great strains of chiles, I dont know Ed Currie personally but I always question peoples intent when they try to trademark a living plant and tell people they cant resell seeds , umm really? and yeah I felt the same way back in the day about Red Savinas, Im just not a fan of Monsanto like tactics over a plants gentics, and btw I do not believe the Reaper is a cross of what Ed says it is which makes it even worse to claim rights of something , I call total BS on it, sorry people.

Hot Pooper said:
(No disrespect to you, AJ. My statement is in general, not towards your post.)
None taken.  My business is 99% growing peppers.  Inventing them not so much.  But I do want to add that I dont grow just for the burn or even the flavor.  I am absolutely amazed by the shapes, the colors and getting it right.  No matter how reputable a seed merchant is, there is always room for improvement in their dna.  I love culling each year, choosing what I think will be the best for next year.  Then if I nail it, I do the happy dance.  It is like a little contest with Mother Nature.

WickedMojo said:
I have to agree fully with Hot Pooper,  I personally believe the Primo and Reaper are waaay too similar, and yes I have fresh pods in hand of both at the time of this post, they taste and look almost identical in every aspect. My isssue isnt with crosses and naming so much, as it is with people trying to make money by deception etc.. Cappy never trademarked his Brain Strain , neither did Troy with the Primo or numerous other people with great strains of chiles, I dont know Ed Currie personally but I always question peoples intent when they try to trademark a living plant and tell people they cant resell seeds , umm really? and yeah I felt the same way back in the day about Red Savinas, Im just not a fan of Monsanto like tactics over a plants gentics, and btw I do not believe the Reaper is a cross of what Ed says it is which makes it even worse to claim rights of something , I call total BS on it, sorry people.
Agree, on every point.

Back