• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Butch T in a field of red plants

Hi Folks. I walked through my field today (it has about 150 Butch T Scorpion pepper plants, all in various stages of pod production) and I noticed that one plant is kicking out yellow pods.

red-yellow-butch-t.jpg

(Same mother plant, yet different colored pods.)

I had a very productive plant last year, so just before winter set in, I brought it inside and isolated it in a grow tent. It still kicked out new pods for a few months and I harvested the seeds, then germinated them and used them for all 150 plants growing now. So I didn't get the seeds from anyone else, and there's no possibility of cross pollination. Could this be a legitimate mutation?

Since this is my first real grow in a real field on a real farm, I am wondering if these Yellow Butch-T peppers are worth maintaining.

yellow-butch-t.jpg

I did some searching online and I've seen some Yellow Butch-T Scorpions already, so before I go throwing them into a cloner and get myself a little too excited as if I have something unique, I am coming here for a reality check. :-)

yellow-close-1.jpg

yellow-close-2.jpg

What's the verdict? Should I do something with this one plant, or not?

I also have a Butch T plant producing yellow pods... and although its not that uncommon... it is still a nice genetic!  I am saving seeds from my nicest yellow butch t's.  So I say it is still worth being excited about!

IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG

Nice peppers Grover!

We still got to get together man, talk peppers and share seeds. I went to the Hopmonk a while ago but didn't see ya.

What farm are you on? I could prolly get some space on the old Gordenker Turkey farm out HWY 12  but I just haven't had the desire to go really big, its a lot of work.

Plus I'd love to here whats hot in the tequila world.

Nice! We go to Hopmonk at least once per week to chow on fish tacos.

I have a friend who lives out in Dixon, he's got 40 acres and is letting me use 1 acre for these peppers. We started small this year with 150 plants as a test. Next year we're going to fill it up completely with (probably) Reapers. We could probably cram 2,000 plants into that space if we really push it. It's going to be a ton of work, but we do have some help so it's not going to be all on me.

Oh, and there is a lot of stuff going on in the world of tequila. I could talk your ear off for days on end with that topic!

hogleg said:
Nice peppers Grover!

We still got to get together man, talk peppers and share seeds. I went to the Hopmonk a while ago but didn't see ya.

What farm are you on? I could prolly get some space on the old Gordenker Turkey farm out HWY 12  but I just haven't had the desire to go really big, its a lot of work.

Oh, Corralejo! That brand has changed a LOT over the years. When was the last time you tried it?

D3monic said:
I'm not very worldly on tequila but this has always been my favorite

main-bottles.png

grover said:
Oh, Corralejo! That brand has changed a LOT over the years. When was the last time you tried it?

it's probably been 3 years since I had tequila. I just recently started drinking again after a few years off. 

First time I had it a buddy brought me a few different kinds back from his beach house in mexico. The Corralejo was by far the best tasting.

Hey fellas, I'm in NorCal. I'll cruise up that way to talk beer, peppers, and tequila at the Hopmonk!

^^^

hogleg said:
Nice peppers Grover!

grover said:
Nice! We go to Hopmonk at least once per week to chow on fish tacos.

I have a friend who lives out in Dixon, he's got 40 acres and is letting me use 1 acre for these peppers. We started small this year with 150 plants as a test. Next year we're going to fill it up completely with (probably) Reapers. We could probably cram 2,000 plants into that space if we really push it. It's going to be a ton of work, but we do have some help so it's not going to be all on me.

Oh, and there is a lot of stuff going on in the world of tequila. I could talk your ear off for days on end with that topic!

Back