• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My reaper won't produce pods this year, so what to do with it?

My reaper went a little slowly to start the season and it's still a small plant. I'm moving in about 6 weeks and don't have any pods yet (just a few flowers) so I'm wondering if I should top and/or prune it now (and where) to prep it for overwinter, or if I should let it grow out as is. I'm thinking that if I trim it now and cut the flowers off, the plant will get a little bulkier by the end of 6 weeks than if it tries to put energy into reproduction.

Looks like its still pretty young judging by the pic. Start heavily feeding with phoshorus and potash. You can elect to overwinter it if you have the space and setup to grow indoors.

Just let it run out
Then cut it back for winter
You gas on it to hard with ferts you might set it backwards insteade of forward.
Repot next season with a better soil mix(loaded up)

My Reaper is pretty much like that this year too. Season end I'll probably prune it back to nubs and bring it indoors for the winter.

I'd let it run, assuming you can safely transport it when you move. Worst case scenario, you have to prune back a slightly larger plant with slightly larger peppers that aren't going to make it.

Back