•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

Rocoto's and Everclear

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hawaiianero

Hawaiianero

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:55 PM

Ok so I got some home made sauce from a friend of a friend of a friend of someone who grows rocoto's up on the mountain. I am told this person soaks his peppers in everclear alcohol for an unknown period of time and then cooks it down and blends the crap out of it. The rocoto flavor stands right out but there are other subtle flavors I can't figure out. I'm not ever sure if there's any vinegar in there but the bottom line it this sauce is amazing. Not crazy hot but a respectable level of heat that peaks very quickly and lingers for a few minutes.

What I want to know is, does anyone have a recipe for any type of pepper that includes high octane alcohol and if so please share :pray:

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 5,209 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

i would like to know more about this sauce 

are we talking about a rocoto extract that is added to his sauce recipe, or a sauce made from just  rocotos and everclear ?

ive made bhut infused vodka and it was intense to say the least, it was truly :mouthonfire: epic  

(but not for anyone that cant handle eating a bhut)  :rofl:

I also use everclear when making homemade limoncello (new idea :idea:  Rocoto-cello  :twisted: )

i am a fan of rocoto / manzano sauces and would really like more info

:cheers:

Flight is booked, sauce is packed, it may be best to hide your women now..... :rofl:

#3 hotpeppaharry

hotpeppaharry

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

somewhat on topic: recently tried my first hooch- ozark mountain hooch  :drunk: my neighbor's family is from up that way, and he has(had) a great big mason jar full of it in his 'fridge..it was awesome! couldn't stay out of it and not that bad of a hangover  :beer:

#4 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

lol, I haven't heard of Everclear since the late 80's, didnt it come in mason jars? :)

#5 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 5,209 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:19 AM

lol, I haven't heard of Everclear since the late 80's, didnt it come in mason jars? :)

I buy it in 1 liter, or 1.75 liter bottles, looks like this but larger bottle, i have never seen it in mason jars in the liquor store

(though i have seen shine sold in mason jars)

SpHCxwW.jpg

Edited by Guatemalan Insanity Pepper, 16 September 2016 - 11:21 AM.

Flight is booked, sauce is packed, it may be best to hide your women now..... :rofl:

#6 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,658 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

I buy it in 1 liter, or 1.75 liter bottles, looks like this but larger bottle, i have never seen it in mason jars in the liquor store

(though i have seen shine sold in mason jars)

SpHCxwW.jpg

Yep thats the stuff. Almost burned down my friends kitchen the first time I tried blowing fireballs with the shit.  :rofl: tru story!

#7 Hawaiianero

Hawaiianero

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

i would like to know more about this sauce 

are we talking about a rocoto extract that is added to his sauce recipe, or a sauce made from just  rocotos and everclear ?

ive made bhut infused vodka and it was intense to say the least, it was truly :mouthonfire: epic  

(but not for anyone that cant handle eating a bhut)   :rofl:

I also use everclear when making homemade limoncello (new idea :idea:  Rocoto-cello  :twisted: )

i am a fan of rocoto / manzano sauces and would really like more info

As the story was relayed to me it sounded like they rough-chopped the peppers and drowned them with the alcohol. I do that all the time with vinegar, let them soak for a couple months before cooking down.

I've still got half of a liter of Absolut with a couple 7 pot Brainstrains sitting in the bottom. A shot of it makes my ears ring but it makes awesome bloody marys. :drunk:

I guess I would say I'm less interested in the everclear option thinking there would be no added flavor but more interested in using Tequila or Rum, or a good Bourbon.

Unless I'm completely off base and it is the everclear that gives it such a unique flavor.

#8 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

When I used to live in Toronto I used to go to Buffalo for shopping, I recall a mason jar in the liquor store.

#9 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 39,797 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

If you cook with that you HAVE to cut it or it could be a bomb! That's pretty much racing fuel. No joke.

You're safer with cheap vodka.

#10 Hawaiianero

Hawaiianero

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:07 PM

If you cook with that you HAVE to cut it or it could be a bomb! That's pretty much racing fuel. No joke.

You're safer with cheap vodka.

Seriously, what could go wrong if you mix alcohol with an open flame? :shame: :fire: :banghead:

http://youtu.be/ww9EE2eKyg0

Edited by Hawaiianero, 16 September 2016 - 05:35 PM.

#11 spicefreak

spicefreak

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

Sounds to me like there are two possibilities here:
1) He is making Rocoto extract and maybe adding a few other things to turn it into a sauce. This is done by soaking chillies in alcohol until thoroughly infused, then evaporating the alcohol content off at a low heat (<50°c) until you've basically just got concentrated chilli juice.
2) He is undergoing some strange process of infusing the vinegar before it becomes vinegar, fermenting the alcohol and chilli together.

#12 Greenguru

Greenguru

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • aka:Greenguru

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

Keep the heat below flash point should be little safer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests