• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Think I could overwinter this little plant?

I grew this little Bhut Jolokia plant from seed. I started it too late though. It's only about 9 inches tall or so and the first frost will probably hit in a few weeks. You think I could bring it indoors to overwinter it and if so, would I have to prune most of the leaves off or just leave it as is? My plan is to have it indoors near a window that should get some sunlight.

Owkmjia.jpg

Yes, you can overwinter your bhut.
Be cautious not to bring any pests inside your house. They like hiding in the soil too.
You nay want to put new fresh soil in your pot, once your roots are cleaned.

Cut it all back to a stub,take about 3" off the top
If you can keep it alive youll be amazed at what it does when it comes back

Dont knock trade secrets unless they have failed for you.
Chopping is regular at that size to double growth in just a few weeks.

Lovepeppers said:
NO- dont cut it back, no need to, its small. If you had a mature bush ans wanted to bring it in then evidently you would cut it back to a size that fits your situation.

Bring it in when temps hit ~40 or lower, and take it back out during bouts of warm weather.
When inside, try to provide as much light as possible.  
I don't see any sensible reason to prune the plant.  Just leave it be for now.  Prune only if you see tissue die-back, and even then you might want to wait 'till spring.

Geonerd said:
Bring it in when temps hit ~40 or lower, and take it back out during bouts of warm weather.
When inside, try to provide as much light as possible.  
I don't see any sensible reason to prune the plant.  Just leave it be for now.  Prune only if you see tissue die-back, and even then you might want to wait 'till spring.

I overwintered two plants this way, 2014 -2015, results below

Jalapeno1_zpstvij2ufu.jpg

2014 plant

Bonnies_Golden_Cayene4_zpsjomiikke.jpg

2015 start

IMG_0604_zpsnci54nkw.jpg

2015 fruiting

Bonnies_Thai_Ornemental2%201_zpsjtfytctg.jpg

2015 start

IMG_06781_zpso4lgywbn.jpg

2015 fruiting

So it stayed indoors by a window all winter. It's in a bigger pot now. I've been in the process of hardening it off by moving it outside in the shade a little bit each day, then bringing back inside at night. Some leaves are getting yellow tips and small cuts (?) on the edges. The small new leaves are slightly curled and deformed. I've only used fish fertilizer on it a few times. Any idea what could be causing this? Perhaps it needs something with higher phosphorus and potassium as fish fertilizer is mostly nitrogen? I have no idea.

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

Thought I would give an update almost a year later. Here is the plant. It survived and It has quite a few pods on it now. This is my first time successfully growing a super hot from seed. I still bring it inside at night because night time temps are low even during July.

oxd2ORu.jpg

2DFKufa.jpg

UJyXm62.jpg

nMjYrYq.jpg

Boris said:
Thought I would give an update almost a year later. Here is the plant. It survived and It has quite a few pods on it now. This is my first time successfully growing a super hot from seed. I still bring it inside at night because night time temps are low even during July.

oxd2ORu.jpg

2DFKufa.jpg

UJyXm62.jpg

nMjYrYq.jpg

Looks great. Congrats!

Back