• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

120 gal aquarium. To part, or not to part

I have from the time I began keeping fish, dreamed of acquiring a 120 gal tank. I finally did so through my business some years back and it has sit ever since. Now I am stuck with the dilemma of selling it or putting it to use. I realize I will ultimately have to make the decision but I am interested to see what someone else in my situation might or would do.

I purchased it at wholesale and then bought it from my business to eliminate the unpaid tax burden, so if I were to sell it, I could actually realize a significant profit.

winland said:
freshwater or saltwater?

I have had both.
24 gallon up to 400 gallon.
it is just a tank right now. While I could easily go reef, I doubt that I would consider it. I would leave it where it is now. In my grow room.

FreeportBum said:
I have a 240 gal reef tank, been a work in progress for 10 years or so

I could probably retire if I had all the $$$ I've spent on it

Not including my time, sweat and a few tears

Wouldn't give it up for the world

Different strokes for different folks

Cheers

loved my salt water tank !  the money is just part of ones HOBBY !       :onfire:

Solid reef tanks are very much long term care
Started one back in 82 and sold it all in 2001 on a move venture.
Tank is still running today but expanded to 500 gal custom from its 200 origin

FreeportBum said:
I have a 240 gal reef tank, been a work in progress for 10 years or so

I could probably retire if I had all the $$$ I've spent on it

Not including my time, sweat and a few tears

Wouldn't give it up for the world

Different strokes for different folks

Cheers

Also kept a handful of different reefs though I still like the planted look

W55IzVo.jpg

Old 75gal macro algae tank

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

Just scraped the glass and took this pic. Needs a water change. This tank sits on my computer desk

8JLvMpY.jpg

TNKS said:
Reptile keepers have them pretty cheap these days,120gal wont bring much close to $100USD
Sorry, I have to disagree with that. I paid 350.00 new and it has never seen a drop of water and that was 10 years ago. around here you would not come close to a well used 120 tank for $100.00. Maybe a 55gal. maybe.

Depends on if its a Reef Ready and the type of glass. I paid like $300 for my 75gal RR but can pick up normal tanks for about a $1 a gallon. If I did another large reef tank I'd probably want low iron glass on at least the front pane. Though I have no intentions of doing a large reef again. I can't afford all that. 

my mom got a 200 gallon tank for like 50 bucks. it had a crack in the glass strip that connects the top rip around the center. looks like you could replace it though.

lots of folks in houston ... maby the deals are better here.
D3monic said:
Depends on if its a Reef Ready and the type of glass. I paid like $300 for my 75gal RR but can pick up normal tanks for about a $1 a gallon. If I did another large reef tank I'd probably want low iron glass on at least the front pane. Though I have no intentions of doing a large reef again. I can't afford all that.
low iron glass? whats that all about?

I have a 20 and a 55gal freshwater. Its great to see a live tank and its activity, very relaxing, but if you dont have the time then theirs no point to keep it. I like the natural look so I dont manicure it like allot of other people do. I also don't change the water like others do, I found if you have a nice balance of plants you don't need to, stopped checking PH etc.. years ago. My Fish have lasted twice as long as listed life spans. I leave them alone and dont mess about causing stress to them. Costs are basically filters and changing lights every year.
my 2cents

P1201977_AlgaeEater-Cory-1000_zpsnuedp0ge.jpg

dragonsfire said:
I have a 20 and a 55gal freshwater. Its great to see a live tank and its activity, very relaxing, but if you dont have the time then theirs no point to keep it. I like the natural look so I dont manicure it like allot of other people do. I also don't change the water like others do, I found if you have a nice balance of plants you don't need to, stopped checking PH etc.. years ago. My Fish have lasted twice as long as listed life spans. I leave them alone and dont mess about causing stress to them. Costs are basically filters and changing lights every year.
my 2cents

P1201977_AlgaeEater-Cory-1000_zpsnuedp0ge.jpg
Time requirements actually decrease as tank capacity increases. Water chemistry changes are less dramatic and animal load has a reduced impact on the aquaous enviroment. $$$ is the main problem in considering keeping and establishing any kind of worthwhile aquasystem. And of course specimen choices would impact those costs at start up. It would be a freshwater tank if anything at all. I have too many other money pits to get too involved with one of the magnitude that a reef system would involve.

For most part a planted tank can be set up pretty cheap. Check out the forums over at plantedtank.net for ideas, ads for plants ect. Might even stumble across a few of my old projects

Back