• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Our Favorite Wing Recipe: Spicy Crispy Sriracha Garlic Hot Wings

This is a stand by favorite of ours and I thought I would share with all of you.

We cooked this recently for a dinner guest, who declared them the best wings he's ever had. You'll need lots of napkins for this, plus an ice cold beverage!

First, we started with close to 4 lbs of party wings - we normally use plain wings but this is all they had at the store that day:

Image00008_zpscr3fnl5b.jpg

Then mixed up the cumin coriander spice paste the wings were marinated in:

Image00007_zpskimsona8.jpg

Then coated the wings in the spices and oil:

Image00011_zpsghk5qomm.jpg

The wings marinated for about 3 hours. Meanwhile, time to make the fixins for the sauce starting with cutting up a fresh jalapeno:

Image00009_zpsmknmdzut.jpg

Then cut up a bunch of garlic and added that to the jalapeno:

Image00010_zpsapdsezrz.jpg

Finally, made the sauce and added the garlic and jalapeno to the sauce:

Image00003_zpsdis4flfv.jpg

Time to start cooking! I used my Green Weber One Touch Gold with rotisserie ring and put the grill on high, and started the wings indirect:

Image00012_zpsrtkcazu4.jpg

Image00013_zpsgwtsfd8r.jpg

About ten minutes in:

Image00001_zpsgup5gep0.jpg

When the wings had par-cooked for about 30 mins, I brought them in and let them rest. Then onto the next step - a nice bath in hot oil:

Image00002_zpsmbs4lcw1.jpg

Then, poured the sauce over the wings and began to coat them thoroughly:

Image00004_zpsrv7blt9c.jpg

Image00006_zpsdtse0jl5.jpg

And finally, plated and ready to eat:

Image00005_zpsplun61f8.jpg

They were as delicious as ever, and we all broke a mighty sweat!

The recipe is below - you can adjust the garlic and jalapeno to your liking, AND, you don't have to grill the wings, though it does add a layer of flavor you won't get from oven cooking.

Moose’s Spicy Crispy Sriracha Garlic Hot Wings

To start:
4 pounds chicken wings, cut up (serves 4)
1-2 quarts vegetable oil for deep-frying

For the marinade:

1/4 cup ground coriander (4 Tbs)
1tsp ground cumin
1 1/4 Tbs kosher salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil(8 Tbs)

For the sauce:

1/2 cup Hot Sriracha chili sauce
3/4 stick (6 tbl) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
8 large cloves garlic, minced
½-1 jalapeno finely chopped (remove seeds if you don’t want it as hot, but why would anyone do that?)

1. In a large zip-lock bag, combine coriander, cumin, salt and olive oil. Toss in the wings and massage the bag to coat. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight. Though the volume of the marinade seems small and barely coats the wings, it is critical to the success of this recipe.

2. Preheat drum or kettle grill to 325 degrees. Place wings in a single layer on cooking grate. Cook for about 30 minutes, until wings are firm, but not done. (They’ll finish cooking in the deep-fryer). Remove them from the cooker and place on a platter to dry before frying. You can also cook the wings for 30 minutes in the oven at about 325 degrees.

3. In a clean bowl, blend cilantro, minced garlic, lime zest and juice, and melted butter. Add 1/2 cup Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, combine and set aside.

4. Working in small batches, deep-fry wings until crispy and browned, 2-4 min. Drain briefly on paper towels, then toss the hot wings in the sauce. Let the wings sit for 2-5 minutes before serving so the flavors soak into the wings.

5. Serve hot, and enjoy!
(Serves 4 – figure 1lb wings per person)

Back