• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When do y'all normally start seeds?

I was wondering when y'all start your seeds? It would be cool to know the different times people start depending on location. Thanks, jacrispy.

NE Ohio (44622)

In the past in early Jan.

This year early March...early MARCH!...what the hell was I thinking?  What's "early" about starting hot peppers in March in NE Ohio?  Early March...damned idiot!

Next year I plan to start in early Jan (bet you weren't expecting that)!  "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

SouthCentral Wisconsin
I started in March and I did just fine. I'll probably start in late Jan or early Feb this year.

I usually start chinenses in early January and others I start in mid February. This winter, I'm going to start later. If I can manage to hold off the itch to start playing in the dirt early, I'll plant chinenses in mid February and others in March. 
     Starting early is helpful because if seeds don't germ, there's time to start more. But lately, my plants have just been getting too damned big. When they outgrow their grow area, they get crowded. Crowded plants get spindly and weak. Weak, spindly plants are a pain in the ass to deal with. Later for that. 

Thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna start some seeds pretty soon here in Lower Alabama. I have a light chamber they can grow in  all winter and hit the ground running next year.

January-February for me here in northern British Columbia. Though last year I almost ran out of room. Good thing we had a warm early spring.

Neil

Here in Aridzona I'm considering starting some now!
Is usually plant in February (those occasional sunny-and-70 days are irresistible!), but the cold nights prevent much growth until April.
Starting now, they will have another month or two of reasonable growing weather.  As 'winter' sets in, I can bring the little guys in on cold nights.

I always start my seeds on christmas day, soak them christmas eve.......no special reason other than superstition and the fact they need that amount of time to mature here in zone 3. i know it's a stretch but i am hoping on a God factor.   for the record, it is not working on brown bonnets, brown 7 pots, chocolate bhuts...... guess i better pray harder or plant a month sooner.

Back