• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CPR problems

In the ad forum the subject of CPRs not producing came up and I mentioned I would start a thread here. I bought some seeds from Butch's website and have grown them into huge, beautiful plants. They stand above my head and are beautiful dark green. They are now in their third flowering cycle for the year. They produce many flowers and the flowers stay on the plants just fine. I know what flower dropping is and these are not doing this. I have even hand pollinated many flowers, and to this date, not a single pepper has set on any of the 15 plants I have. These are side by side with other types I even started in the same tray as seeds that have been covered with pods, but nothing on the CPRs. It is like my plants are sterile. Others mentioned having close to similar problems, so I thought I would see how widespread this problem is. Tom

Mine did not produce many.  I have 3 plants 2 in the ground one in a bucket.  Like you plants themselves are big and nice, I do have pods though but were very late to set.  The 2 in the ground probably going to give me 10 to 12 pods and most of those on one plant, the other has like 2 pods.  The bucket though, at first it set one nice pod and nothing.  Then in the last 2 or 3 weeks it set a ton of pods up high.  Probably has 30 to 50 pods on it now all at the top of the plant.  Kinda happy it was this plant that decided to do this, if they don't ripen before a freeze comes will take it to the garage to finish up.

I have about a dozen CPRs doing much the same. Good looking plants, poor producers. I have never had a Reaper/Primo or derivative produce well ... Stopped growing Reapers a few years ago for that reason. CPR seems to be following that trend

Tony Rose sent me some seeds he got from Butches web site. I had lousy germination results and only got one plant out of all my attempts. Flowers and no sets were the norm for a long time.
I now have several pods developing but will probably have to bring the plants indoors to get them to maturity.

got 5 in the garden , 1 in 5 gal. ended up with about  30 total pods . plants got huge . just awful podding . seeds looked weak out of the gate , also bad germination . 

I had pretty good germination. I just don't have pods. I've had plants that produced late, but not like this. I do pretty decently with regular Primos and reapers in the greenhouse on production, but they seem to take an extra month to start producing. I'm going to hang onto them for the rest of the year to see. I still pick even after Christmas, but if I don't see anything by then, they are using up valuable space.

I have two CPR going. I had very good germ rates. They took the longest to produce this grow season. They are not producing many pods, unlike my MoA or Chuck Norris Morugas. The pods look cool, but I won't be growing again any time soon.

I am growing 1 CPR. It was a real late bloomer and began setting pods about 2 weeks ago. It currently has 15-20 small pods, most with stingers/tails, so the pheno is correct. I have begun topping new growth to prevent further pods from setting... it's to late in the season for pods to mature and ripen, but it is in a 5 gallon fabric pot and I can bring it indoors to finish the ripening.

One of two so far.

20160922_164637.jpg

Actually, two of two. The smaller one is in background just above the subject.

cycadjungle said:
I had pretty good germination. I just don't have pods. I've had plants that produced late, but not like this. I do pretty decently with regular Primos and reapers in the greenhouse on production, but they seem to take an extra month to start producing. I'm going to hang onto them for the rest of the year to see. I still pick even after Christmas, but if I don't see anything by then, they are using up valuable space.

i get reapers pretty early and boat loads , these things NADDA !  i pulled my 5 plants and are now in the compost , maybe 15 pods on them and 2 green ones ,. :tear:
CAPCOM said:
One of two so far.

attachicon.gif
20160922_164637.jpg

Actually, two of two. The smaller one is in background just above the subject.
my first and one of only about 30 i got off of 5 huge plants !  sucks ! was looking forward to a mess of them .
HPIM2630.JPG

moruga welder said:

i get reapers pretty early and boat loads , these things NADDA !  i pulled my 5 plants and are now in the compost , maybe 15 pods on them and 2 green ones ,. :tear:

my first and one of only about 30 i got off of 5 huge plants !  sucks ! was looking forward to a mess of them .
attachicon.gif
HPIM2630.JPG
Very very NICE
Whats it taste like?

After looking closer tonight my 2 in the ground, both are good sized plants 4+ feet tall will produce a total of 6 pods, I think all of them on the same plant, with one plant being a shutout.  The one in the bucket though is going to give me a lot, but will probably have to finish up its life in the garage.  They are a great pepper, darkes chocolates I have seen.

IMG_20160922_192938204_zps22cddeey.jpg

I only tried 1 plant this year...took a month and a half to germinate and so far has not produced a single pod!  I'm really disappointed because I wanted a pheno like Moruga Welder's but it was not meant to be.  I'll try it again next year with my remaining seeds but it sounds like I should just order some chocolate primos from John Ford :S 

BSH said:
I only tried 1 plant this year...took a month and a half to germinate and so far has not produced a single pod!  I'm really disappointed because I wanted a pheno like Moruga Welder's but it was not meant to be.  I'll try it again next year with my remaining seeds but it sounds like I should just order some chocolate primos from John Ford :S 

I wouldn't hesitate on that ,   grow season are minimal      :onfire:   i only got a couple that looked like that one pod .   

Back