• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chunpepe seed source?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, let me know if it isn't, and I'll move it.

Does anyone here know where can I find seeds of Chunpepe, the wild frutescens from Honduras?

Thanks.

Do you know if it has a CGN#, PI#, or CAP#?? I might have it, but labeled with just a # designation. All the info would help before I dig thru my bank

EDIT::Never mind I found it.  “Chunpepe” PI406947 (Ajijoe)" I just watched Nigels review and there he has it as PI406847. The prior # I got from his 2014 grow list, so not sure which it is? Either way I don't have it.  :confused: 

Good luck I hope you find it 

LordTriffid78 said:
PI 406847. Here's a

oazz4l.jpg

FIFY

cloudhand said:
Sorry guys, but that pic was mine before I knew it was a cross, most likely with a chinense. Yes, those pods are very hot, bhut level hot, and also very tasty. I am in the process of trying to procure some pure chunpepe seeds from a seed bank. The real chunpepe looks like a normal frutescens, similar to a tobasco or donni sali.

You know, I was thinking that calyx didn't look right for a frutescens. Thanks for enlightening us

cloudhand said:
Sorry guys, but that pic was mine before I knew it was a cross, most likely with a chinense. Yes, those pods are very hot, bhut level hot, and also very tasty. I am in the process of trying to procure some pure chunpepe seeds from a seed bank. The real chunpepe looks like a normal frutescens, similar to a tobasco or donni sali.
I'd still be interested in seeds. It's the heat level I'm interested in. I'd like to eventually get it tested to see what the scoville rating is. I've also heard that it has a great flavor in general.

I found another picture from another thread on THP, posted by Nigel.

ScreenShot2013-11-08at34521PM_zps78651c46.png

Definitely looks more like a typical frutescens, although slightly wrinkled. I find it interesting that cloudhand's Chunpepe x chinense cross kind of looks like a bhut. I'm hoping to cross Chunpepe with a super hot landrace chinense from Trinidad, to see if I can approximate a jolokia/naga or something similar.

I grew 5 plants out of the crossed seeds.  I can post some pictures in the next days, if somebody is interested.

Im curious if the chunpepe in the test video was already crossed, it could be if you see the "wrinkled shape".

Zackorz said:
I grew 5 plants out of the crossed seeds.  I can post some pictures in the next days, if somebody is interested.

Im curious if the chunpepe in the test video was already crossed, it could be if you see the "wrinkled shape".
Yes, go ahead and post them!

Zackorz said:

Yes, I'm also interested. Please post.

I have ripe fruits on 3 of 5 plants:

Plant 1:

111qrts.jpg

The biggest Fruits. The most fruity and sweet smell. Very sweet with an "Superhot Aroma", maybe "Bhut".
"The-non Placenta Part" is relatively mild, the Placenta "Superhot".

Plant 2:

2gtzqzt.jpg

2up4e94.jpg

Different Fruit Size on this plant. Very sweet and fruity, taste reminds me a bit of carrots. Some Aroma of a Superhot, probably a "Bhut".
Nuclear hot, even the non-placenta part is very hot. More "perfumy" and "floral", than the other plants.

Plant 3:

2rz5aqh.jpg

34ypgt0.jpg

The only fruits, that grow upwards, also the smallest. Bit less heat than the others, but still on a "habanero level".
Sweet and fruity smell, but a little bit less fruity thant the others. Still a good taste.

I like the aroma very much, no biterness at all.

Zackorz said:
I have ripe fruits on 3 of 5 plants:

Plant 1:

111qrts.jpg

The biggest Fruits. The most fruity and sweet smell. Very sweet with an "Superhot Aroma", maybe "Bhut".
"The-non Placenta Part" is relatively mild, the Placenta "Superhot".

Plant 2:

2gtzqzt.jpg

2up4e94.jpg

Different Fruit Size on this plant. Very sweet and fruity, taste reminds me a bit of carrots. Some Aroma of a Superhot, probably a "Bhut".
Nuclear hot, even the non-placenta part is very hot. More "perfumy" and "floral", than the other plants.

Plant 3:

2rz5aqh.jpg

34ypgt0.jpg

The only fruits, that grow upwards, also the smallest. Bit less heat than the others, but still on a "habanero level".
Sweet and fruity smell, but a little bit less fruity thant the others. Still a good taste.

I like the aroma very much, no biterness at all.
Nice! Thank you for sharing! Number two looks really interesting.

I think frutescens x chinense hybrids are something I'm going to have to try next year. I'd really like to try crossing Chunpepe and Purira with various Trinidad landrace chinense's. Your photo's and descriptions seem to indicate that crossing these two species makes for some really good hybrids.

LordTriffid78 said:
Nice! Thank you for sharing! Number two looks really interesting.

I think frutescens x chinense hybrids are something I'm going to have to try next year. I'd really like to try crossing Chunpepe and Purira with various Trinidad landrace chinense's. Your photo's and descriptions seem to indicate that crossing these two species makes for some really good hybrids.

No problem, i want to get small pods, so i probably grow "nr. 3" next year.

If someone wants to stabilize any of these varieties, just pm me.

Back