• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking First Time Smoker - Peppers

Hello all!

I'm making my first batch of hot sauce soon and part of this will include smoking some peppers! I just purchased a smoker on craigslist for cheap and I've been reading up on here to prepare myself.

I've been looking online for different types of woods to use...although I was wondering if it's possible to flavor your own wood to save some money...anyone have experience with this and can provide some insight?

Also, any other general advice would be helpful!

Thanks

Apple wood is good with just about anything IMO. Pecan is a close 2nd.

I have a bunch of wood from a tree i lost so i will be using mulberry (mostly), Cherry and crabapple are also fantastic but you probably wont find crabapple unless you know someone in the tree removal business. I cut smaller limbs into "pucks" because they fit the chip pan in my smoker.

I recommend hickory along with the other recommendations. Wood is not flavored. "apple wood" is simply the wood of an apple tree; same with pecan, cherry..etc 

I find a really good quality bourbon works wonders while running your smoker.
It's very simple:
Make sure the wood you choose is clean then drop it in a small bucket or container that can hold liquid.
Fill the container up enough to get all the wood submerged and let soak for at least a few hours if not overnight.
Then you pop open your bourbon of choice, pour a couple jiggers into your favorite glass, add a few drops of water, and sip as needed.

What? thought I meant to soak the wood in the Bourbon? You can use water for that ;)

yeah, head down to Home Depot and get a small bag of three or four types of wood in their grilling area. Do a few small batches in case you don't care for the stronger woods (Apple Hickory etc...)
the small bags aren't expensive by any means. Enjoy! (and do try Pecan. it is great)

Back