• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Scorpion Salt

Was given a gift yesterday, taste ok, heat level low , about a Jalapeno.

P1100325_ScorpionSalt-1000_zpsgegnyfed.jpg

Oh god no, salted tomatoes are gross! Some people like them, I shouldn't judge, but I really can't understand the appeal myself. Ruins an otherwise delicious fruit for me.

I've had Habanero infused sugar before and, even straight out the jar, it's like Tabasco with no vinegar kick. Noticeable heat but not much more. Can't say I was impressed with the company that called it "insanely hot" but I kind of expected it. Infusions tend to be very mild compared to the products that leave the chilli in.

Yours, however, has definite pepper flecks so no excuse.

One problem I have with salt blends or finishing salts is you can't control the salt level! For example, you said this was jalapeno level heat. To get to scorpion level you'd have to dump salt all over your dish.

Screw that! I'm all about salting correctly when cooking, and then adding heat. Or even if adding both after, separately for control!

Now that I can definitely agree with. I picked up a grinder a while back because it was red chillies, black pepper and mustard seed, all infused with Chipotle extract. Sounded a little unorthodox, the sort of thing I like to experiment with, and was actually pretty darn good. A far better pizza topping than those mild flakes they normally give you. Only one problem: ~50% salt. Any decent amount and I'm coughing from that alone :(.

Back