Considering a Traeger Renegade Elite or Eastwood

A friend of mine has a Green Mountain Grill - http://greenmountaingrills.com

I don't have a ton of experience with the ones you're looking at but my friend did a ton of research before buying and thought the GMG was the way to go. Apparently the guy who created it was a Traeger guy for years but had some issues with it, so he built the GMG to overcome what he saw were weaknesses in the Trager. I know one of the upgrades was adding a fan to prevent backburn up the auger.

austin87 said:
A friend of mine has a Green Mountain Grill - http://greenmountaingrills.com

I don't have a ton of experience with the ones you're looking at but my friend did a ton of research before buying and thought the GMG was the way to go. Apparently the guy who created it was a Traeger guy for years but had some issues with it, so he built the GMG to overcome ,

Thanks, gonna check these out too, and compare both, there is a dealer right near me.

Never thought I would ever need a grill or smoker with Wifi, but what the hell, why not...

thegreenman said:
Pros cons tips and all other input welcome. Convince me one way of the other
http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/elite-series/TFB38TCA.html#start=14

That Traeger costs $750 right?  For that amount of money I would spend $400 on a Weber Smokey Mountain and then another $150 on an iQ temp controller.  You'd have nearly TWICE the cooking surface (380"/2 on the Traeger versus 726"/2 on the Weber), no need to ever buy or find pellets and pretty much the exact same setup and control as you'd have with the Traeger for $100 less.  You could save the other $150 and do without the temp controller too - the Weber holds temps pretty solid once you've figured her out.  

The one main pro I see on the Traeger that the WSM does not have is the handy grease drain.  Also the Traeger would be better for burgers/grilling, but I have grills for grilling and a smoker for smoking.  The combo units don't do great at either in my experience.

A friend recently put down about 4k on a pit by Klose out of Texas (iirc).  About 4k inches of cooking space in 3 different areas, mounted on a single axle trailer.  The thing is an awesome amount of bbq smoking steel.  Maybe one of these days...  :)

I looked at the Green Mountain today, The Daniel Boon without Wifi is on sale for $549.00
It seems very well made, with heavy gauge steel throughout. Couldn't find any real faults with it based on appearance. It's larger than I though it would be, with loads of room on the grill.
I like that the dealer is 5 minutes away from my house, and they sell the pellets and accessories. I tried to look at a Traeger, but there were none in stock anywhere nearby, and I'm not buying it without looking it over first. 
still deciding. 

oldsalty said:
I own Traeger Texas but modified it pretty heavily not much Traeger left. Aside from some temp swing unit worked great. Just  wanted more temp c ontrol. Here the new units have fixed the major temp issue.

Love the Rec Tech excellent unit also like Yoder.
do you have a thread or something? im curious as to what you did here.

queequeg152 said:
do you have a thread or something? im curious as to what you did here.
haha not sure but will put together my full upgrade list for ya :)   Mine work amazing. Killer rotisserie  pid control, upgraded hopper igniter Baby's been JACKED  :hell:

I watched an infomercial on the Traeger Elite Renegade. :lol: Found it funny, nothing against the grill. But what they called grilling was not grilling. It's a smoker powered by convection. Also I noted they never showed the electric cord or mentioned it was electric. Just that you don't need to mess with coals, wood, or propane. But they never said it was electric or showed that cord in the yard running up to it. Would take away from the BBQ angle I guess.

The positive of pellet smoking is that you have you have a tiny fire, that means the fire can burn hot-hot the whole time, all the while being low-temp at the grate ...

It's a great platform for home smoking, honestly, and why you see Raichlen rocking a Bradley on Project Smoke ...

Where people go wrong, is skipping the water in the puck catcher. They lose the humidity which helps with smoking, and run hot for creating a pile of still-burning pucks ...

I'm totally considering adding a pellet-smoker to the armada ... the science is behind them.

Back