• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Smoked Habanero Sauce

Not much of a recipe here, I just winged it.  And I have yet to actually measure out the ingredients in any of my sauces.  But Ill do my best here.

I smoked 32 habaneros, 2 heads of garlic and half an onion on the big green egg for about 3 hours with mesquite chips.

When those were done, I threw them into a pot along with a generous squeeze of honey, about half a cup of lime juice, maybe two table spoons of pink Himalayan sea salt and probably 3/4 of a quart bottle of apple cider vinegar.  Brought that to a boil on the grill and then blended with the immersion blender till smooth.  Probably should have added a little water to thin it down a little more.  The results are just amazing.  Very smokey and sweet, but then the heat hits and lingers.  I will def make this sauce again.

Last night I put a big tablespoon of it in a bowl of chili and it was awesome.

Wow man! Nice looking sauce there and reading through your ingredients, this could easily be a daily driver sauce. For some reason I want to dump it on some mashed potatoes.  :crazy:

Apok451 said:
Update:

Worked wonderfully on some grilled chicken.
Haha Nice !  You don't fool around you say grilled chicken you do grilled chicken. But i would like to see pics using that amazing looking sauce my friend. Inquiring minds want to see !! :)

oldsalty said:
Haha Nice !  You don't fool around you say grilled chicken you do grilled chicken. But i would like to see pics using that amazing looking sauce my friend. Inquiring minds want to see !! :)
Next time.  Though the result was tasty, it wasn't pretty.  I "may" have burnt the chicken a little.

Here is a look at the ingredients smoking.

Apok451 said:
Next time.  Though the result was tasty, it wasn't pretty.  I "may" have burnt the chicken a little.

Here is a look at the ingredients smoking.

That sauce looks awesome!  I just want to pour it over a nice medium rare ribeye steak!

I'd done a fair amount of pepper smoking and one trick I learned is to cut them in half before I smoke them.  That way you get way more surface area exposed to smoke.  Really picks up the smoke well that way.

Keep up the good work!

turbo said:

That sauce looks awesome!  I just want to pour it over a nice medium rare ribeye steak!

I'd done a fair amount of pepper smoking and one trick I learned is to cut them in half before I smoke them.  That way you get way more surface area exposed to smoke.  Really picks up the smoke well that way.

Keep up the good work!
I did debate cutting them in half first, but opted to keep them whole.  And the amount of smoke flavor they picked up is amazing.  This stuff almost smells like BBQ sauce, but tasts soooo much better.  I should have added a little more liquid as it is pretty thick, but it works very very well.  

looking at the sauce again and reading the ingredients, where did the color come from?

Those Habs, onion, garlic, lime, ACV, salt, honey.....With only smoking the outside of the Habs even with char, that sauce would be yellow or a variation of it???

I only ask, because I did a sauce today using fresnos and a few fatalii, smoked 3 hrs with mes, and loosely used the same ingredients but varied the measurements, I even placed the halved smoked peppers in a hot dry cast iron skillet to get even more char.

I ended up with a rich deep red sauce, rich in flavor. Very satisfied, but wondering how you got that color to your sauce?

Back