• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil for indoor chilies

So I usually just use generic potting soil, haven't really been paying attention to what brand I buy, but I do make sure it has adequate drainage and whatnot.  I have a ~5 gallon container filled with some dirt from outside and it seems  to work pretty fine for this one plant, if it feels compacted I use some peroxide to add air and kill pests, I mean my plant in that pot seems to be doing fine BUT I don't really test for PH or anything like that and I don't really expect to get a huge yield.  I got some 7 pot brain strain and orange habanero seedlings coming along (currently in red solo cups about to sprout), would it be a good idea to use some organic potting soil or what would you guys recommend?

That depends entirely on the store you purchase it from. I think I paid $14 a bag. Assuming that was a high price since it was from a specialty brew and grow store. They always charge more. 

charlie5heen said:
So I usually just use generic potting soil, haven't really been paying attention to what brand I buy, but I do make sure it has adequate drainage and whatnot.  I have a ~5 gallon container filled with some dirt from outside and it seems  to work pretty fine for this one plant, if it feels compacted I use some peroxide to add air and kill pests, I mean my plant in that pot seems to be doing fine BUT I don't really test for PH or anything like that and I don't really expect to get a huge yield.  I got some 7 pot brain strain and orange habanero seedlings coming along (currently in red solo cups about to sprout), would it be a good idea to use some organic potting soil or what would you guys recommend?
How exactly do you use the peroxide if i may ask? You dilute and water with it? I might be interested in this technique if it doesn't kill my plants outright.
Also, get some perlite, its very cheap. Mix in about 1 part perlite in 2 parts potting soil. This improves drainage immensly. Also some osmocote or organic solid fertilizers in a low dose added to your potting mix may work wonders for you

fertilizer said:
How exactly do you use the peroxide if i may ask? You dilute and water with it? I might be interested in this technique if it doesn't kill my plants outright.

Also, get some perlite, its very cheap. Mix in about 1 part perlite in 2 parts potting soil. This improves drainage immensly. Also some osmocote or organic solid fertilizers in a low dose added to your potting mix may work wonders for you
Yeah, sometimes I dilute it about 5 water to 1 part peroxide, other times if the soil is dry and I don't mind I'll just poor some on the soil and then water it in with about an equal amount of water so the plant is watered and aerated.  I've never lost a plant to the peroxide, it turns into oxygen and water after breakdown so don't be too worried.

I would use a potting soil. You should stay away from using garden soil in containers.
For organic soil I like Happy Frog. 2 cu. ft for about $20 from a local shop.
For non-organic I like Hyponex. 2 cu. ft for about $9 at Wal-Mart

Back