• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Primos

I bought in a box of chocolate 7 pot Primos this week. I'm pretty impressed. There are probably plenty of people who do not agree with me, but I think most of the chocolate peppers that have come out in the last few years taste really bitter, to even nasty tasting. Chocolate scorpions, nagas,and BBMs, just aren't very good compared to some of the Douglahs I have tried. Cappy's chocolate brain strain is pretty good, but then I have had the CBS that came from Duffy that was hot, but plain and bitter tasting.
Well, these chocolate Primos taste pretty good and are quite hot. The ones I got were good sized and several had really good form. I posted a picture on my Seriously Hot Peppers Facebook page. I saw pictures of plants growing and they held a decent amount of pods. The CPRs don't produce enough, if you get any at all, and are not with growing. These look like they will be worth growing and have a good amount of heat and have a good chocolate taste I'm very happy with. Still, not as complex of a taste of the Douglahs I am growing. On Monday, our group will be doing side by side taste tests between Cappy's chocolate brain strain and these chocolate Primos. Moruga Welder, send me over your address and I'll send you over some seeds. Tom

Most Chocolates do suck,no opinion needed
They are blazing heat forward and will likely never be anything flavor at any stretch.
Im still not sure why they are so important in anyones grow other then "thinking" bigger heat

Chocolates are worth growing because they make GREAT powder. Red powder that is hot tastes good in many foods, but when you use an equally hot chocolate that tastes good like a brain Strain, it gives the food a richer taste that still doesn't over power the taste of the food. Bhutlahs make great powder and I'll bring some to my favorite Mexican restaurant every once in a while. I usually bring my favorite, Red Primo powder. I can't wait to powder some of these up. Tom

Super strains FYI are all flavor forward,the better growers have been that direction for at least 3 seasons now
Heat is turning into a by product for the most part
Sure plenty are still trying to ring the SHU bell,far more are after the better tasting/balanced pod
Stupid mutt X mutt is all Hollywood
Fan following and media marketing do not "make better"

Very,Very few make such discernments,

cycadjungle said:
Chocolates are worth growing because they make GREAT powder. Red powder that is hot tastes good in many foods, but when you use an equally hot chocolate that tastes good like a brain Strain, it gives the food a richer taste that still doesn't over power the taste of the food. Bhutlahs make great powder and I'll bring some to my favorite Mexican restaurant every once in a while. I usually bring my favorite, Red Primo powder. I can't wait to powder some of these up. Tom

These were definitely more productive for me this year than CPR.  I thought they were really hot also, but mine seemed a touch on the bitter side, but not as bad as others.  I do agree with you on the chocolates and bitter / nasty.  Some of the worst peppers I ever had were chocolate supers.  Its funny though how some people like that taste.  I think the worst one ever for me was the Chocolate Rennie.  I don't know that I would call it bitter but just tasted nasty.   But some of my co workers really liked it.  I have one co worker that loves the bitter nasty ones.  When I make a salsa with one that turns out like that, I just give it to him as I know he will like it.

If your ever looking for a great chocolate superhot, I found the Elongated Choco BBG7 last year to be the best of the class by far.  One of the hottest and best tasting chocolates ever.  Couldn't find any bitter or nasty at all in that one, just one great pepper.  Both my plants drown in the swampy part of my garden this year so missed out, but they will be the best spot next year.

I've found the chocolate habanero, although not considered a super hot, is a very tasty pepper. To me it's the best tasting habanero there is.
I grew brown morugas from pepperlover.com and after a year still have not found a good tasting one. Extremely hot and blends well with other peppers but I'm still not a fan of brown morugas. I hear great things about chocolate bhuts and chocolate fatalii's but have yet to grow and taste any.

Hawaiianero said:
I've found the chocolate habanero, although not considered a super hot, is a very tasty pepper. To me it's the best tasting habanero there is.
I grew brown morugas from pepperlover.com and after a year still have not found a good tasting one. Extremely hot and blends well with other peppers but I'm still not a fan of brown morugas. I hear great things about chocolate bhuts and chocolate fatalii's but have yet to grow and taste any.
Very surprising about the B morugas.
TNKS said:
Super strains FYI are all flavor forward,the better growers have been that direction for at least 3 seasons now
Heat is turning into a by product for the most part
Sure plenty are still trying to ring the SHU bell,far more are after the better tasting/balanced pod
Stupid mutt X mutt is all Hollywood
Fan following and media marketing do not "make better"

Very,Very few make such discernments,

I think taste and heat are equally important and balance is a must.

I've been getting into chocolates for the last couple of years. I've tried just about all of them. In many cases, I buy a box and get to try them to see if they are worth growing or not so I don't waste a good part of a year with something I'm just going to throw away. I have Judys Bhutlah and the one from the UK. Duffy is getting ready to have seeds of two other forms with one he says is the same as the SM type. I know the pucker people have these seeds now, but I'm not going to promise I won't sell any pods when I invest my money on those seeds. I'll have all 4 types growing at the same time by next year. I have a special request grow for chocolate habs, so I grow a bunch of those, but Brain Strains are more my speed. The giant Congos really surprised me. They lit everyone up at hot pepper night but were a bit plain tasting. Not bad though.
CAPCOM, do you have chocolate Primos yet? If not, you want some seeds from these? Not isolated, but I'm only taking seeds from the best pods.

cycadjungle said:
I've been getting into chocolates for the last couple of years. I've tried just about all of them. In many cases, I buy a box and get to try them to see if they are worth growing or not so I don't waste a good part of a year with something I'm just going to throw away. I have Judys Bhutlah and the one from the UK. Duffy is getting ready to have seeds of two other forms with one he says is the same as the SM type. I know the pucker people have these seeds now, but I'm not going to promise I won't sell any pods when I invest my money on those seeds. I'll have all 4 types growing at the same time by next year. I have a special request grow for chocolate habs, so I grow a bunch of those, but Brain Strains are more my speed. The giant Congos really surprised me. They lit everyone up at hot pepper night but were a bit plain tasting. Not bad though.
CAPCOM, do you have chocolate Primos yet? If not, you want some seeds from these? Not isolated, but I'm only taking seeds from the best pods.
I would love to try them next years grow.
Had no luck with CPR as of yet, two small pods so far for a years effort. But that seems to be par for many growers as well.

I would love to try them next years grow.
Had no luck with CPR as of yet, two small pods so far for a years effort. But that seems to be par for many growers as well.

I hate to throw away big, beautiful, wide pepper plants but no CPR pods out of 15 plants is just amazing to me. I have never encountered anything like it. I may keep one to see if it ever does anything, but I hear they taste real bitter. These primos will take their place. Capcom, send me over an address. Gotta spread some chocolate love around a little. Wait, I just remembered, I sell seeds for a living. Im geting mushy in my old age. I must be really happy to get these. CPRs have warped my brain. I just want to spread my joy to other long time chocolate lovers. They are still free, send me an address. Tom

I think more browns will start picking up better flavor as they are grown out consecutively
My buddy is on his 3rd yr grow with the PL Brn Moruga and they are cleaning up pretty good(less floral)
He has two plants that have been running for all three yrs(over wintered) and they are looking very scary this season.
He is letting them set for another two weeks before sampling ahead of harvest.

Datil said:
Judy's Brown Moruga and Chocolate Lava both taste great and carry tons of heat. Nice to see people that still cares for flavor in the superhot era :)

Datil

TNKS said:
I think more browns will start picking up better flavor as they are grown out consecutively
My buddy is on his 3rd yr grow with the PL Brn Moruga and they are cleaning up pretty good(less floral)
He has two plants that have been running for all three yrs(over wintered) and they are looking very scary this season.
He is letting them set for another two weeks before sampling ahead of harvest.
Maybe I just gotta have a little more patience. My Brown Morugas are from Judy (PL) too and after a year still not impressed. Sounds like the flavor gets better over time so I'll keep mine going for another year to see if it holds true for mine too. Like I said in an earlier post, "it blends very well with other peppers but just not my favorite on it's own". Now I have to add "so far".

Back