• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Flavour Profile List

Hi All,

I've started growing three types of peppers this year, which I bought primarily on heat, colour and name (Trinidad Scorpion, Caramel Moruga and Chocolate Habanero). Given the amount of fun I'm having, I'm planning to expand to some that I regularly use in my cooking (New Mexico, Jalapeno to smoke and stuff) however I want to start expanding my knowledge of different pepper tastes, flavour profiles etc.

I've looked around online, and found some references (smoky, citrusy, bitter), but is there any definitive listing one can reference to find out flavour profile on a pepper?

Also I noticed, alot of people around here seem to try their peppers direct from the bush, no cooking etc to get a gauge of them - is that the general best way to get an understanding? Grow and eat straight yourself?

Thanks all - really looking forward to expanding my grow list this season, but want to do it based upon some knowledge and not just appearance (though the white fatali is going to be added for sure!)

Cheers,

Sev

Whether or not straight from the plant is best is probably up for debate. You will get a truer idea of the pepper itself that way but not necessarily the best idea of the pepper as you intend to use it. Dried, baked, roasted and fried all taste a little bit different from fresh and from eachother so, while you will get some of the same pepper flavour across all of them, trying the one(s) you expect to use later might be the best idea.

Personally, I do my trials dried because I struggle to properly taste anything above a Hab when fresh juice is flowing therein.

Reactions: Sev
Back