• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I'm about to get my ass kicked by hurricane Matthew

No way to spike a couple metal trashcans into the ground to help protect the plants?
Maybe not such a good idea, that's some means-ass winds coming your way.
Best of luck!!

Yeah ... it only clipped the tip of Cuba or whatever, and correspondingly didn't lose much of the eye's focus ...

It's going to come out of the other side as a Cat IV still, I think, and that's def not good for the East coast of Florida ...

The latest updates show it leaning towards Florida even more, so yeah, we're about to get seriously dumped on ...

Good luck, dude ...

Having spent the first 30+ years of my life on the Gulf coast, I know what's heading your way. So yes - stay safe first. It's frustrating to put the time and effort into plants that we do, but a) they might make it through, and b) there's always next year!

Hawaiianero said:
No way to spike a couple metal trashcans into the ground to help protect the plants?
Maybe not such a good idea, that's some means-ass winds coming your way.
Best of luck!!

No way...  When the rains saturate the sandy ground, the very earth under you becomes liquified.  Trees fall over without breaking, swimming pools and septic tanks shift...  There is no way that I could think of to feasibly auger anything into the ground that I think would have a chance from preventing those metal cans from becoming ballistically inclined.  And anyway, all in containers.  I just moved them under my porch, and stuffed them as close to the wall as I could.

Last time we had a good one, I had to reattach the section of my house that was built out as a bay window.  The slab broke and sank, and I had to hire a company to lift it back into place, and put a piling under it.  
I've got a couple that I'm going to just trim back to nubs.  There is this amazing 7 pot bubblegum that has a mainstem about 2" thick.  *Sigh*

having spent over 500 bucks on simpson brackets... and double hot dip galvanized 20 cent each screws and 8p nails... i invite a hurricane to come and get fucked. 

need new shingles anyway.
actually 20 cent is for those polymer coated #10x 3-1/8" screws. the doubel galvanized screws are like 18 bucks per 50. whats that come out to?

Having seen Haiti get destro'd, good luck dude, if they survive you have some strong plants, but 100% shitwhipping inc. Be safe.

Stay safe Solid, and buckle up folks it's gonna be a bumpy ride. Now where can I buy some damn gas? Lines for days everywhere. Here's hoping my trees don't come down on my house. 

thegreenman said:
Stay safe Solid, and buckle up folks it's gonna be a bumpy ride. Now where can I buy some damn gas? Lines for days everywhere. Here's hoping my trees don't come down on my house. 

Stay safe! Worst model has it looping back around and coming back for a 2nd strike a few days later ...

Crazy shit!

It's crazy here in Rockledge. Merritt island mandatory evac .

I work at a school and I was asked if I want to work the storm since we are a primary shelter for Brevard county. Told em no, rather be with the fams

Many prayers for you and your neighbors.  Thank you for being bright enough to get out.  Not sure I could be that bright.  Kids yes.  Wife yes.  Me?  I have a feeling I would stay like the other cave men.

This doesn't look like it's going to be a bad storm.  I've got a low slung house, that's gonna weather it just fine.  I'll probably get some water in, some ceilings fall down, etc.  No big deal.  But we did decide to go.  And by we, I mean the wife.  I'm a veteran to this, and would have just as soon sent her and the kids alone.  We aren't built like New Orleans.  You'd have to be crazy not to leave that shithole.  Nevertheless, don't give me too much credit for being bright.  I know what's really going to happen, is that I won't see my house again for about a week after the storm has passed.

Fucking inconvenient.  Seems like wherever you live, nature has found a way to make sure that you don't get too comfortable.  About the only thing that I haven't experienced is earthquakes.

millworkman said:
Since you are in pots, put em inside.  They will be fine without light for a few days.

Would that I could...  There are just too many!

A few will come in, for sure.

Back