• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Hurricane Safe Haven

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
I don't know if anyone needs any help and is afraid to ask, but the members here are so generous, if you could let us know what you need (place to evacuate to, or any help/supplies after it passes) PLEASE let us know.

Stay safe and don't be afraid to ask THPers for help! We're here!

I'd rather this be for help, many times people need help but will never ask. This is the nudge. Tell us. And then someone may chime in with a solution.

But I think if you visit the Bum you may never go back to FL. ;)

Great idea!

There's a couple other websites for Baja and they do this kind of stuff all the time!  Someone needs something, trouble with the storm...things get posted and people help.  It's Awesome!

this is a good idea...

when we evacuated for that one hurricane after katrina, EVERY single hotel in and around san antonio was full... supposedly hotels all the way into austin were full too.

if it were not for my brothers friend's parents who lived somewhere around san antonio... we'd probably would have had to drive hours more, or ended up sleeping in the ghetto somewhere.

hurricane rita.

HurricaneRitaEvacuation.jpg

never evacuating again. worst 12 hours ever.

I remember toughing that shit out with no power etc for weeks, candlelight boardgames and cheap beer helped.  From what I hear it is supposed to drop to cat 2 ish for the coastal guys, lets hope all is well though.

oh yea pro tip guys.

leave your answering machine plugged in. unplug everything else though. or shut off all the breakers but the one with the answering machine.

when you are away and you are wondering if you have power yet... just call your land line. if the answering machine picks up you are good to go.

there is also some way to charge your cell phones( slowly) from the phone line low voltage power? you need some parts... idk how it works, but might be worth looking into.
Jeshwa said:
I remember toughing that shit out with no power etc for weeks, candlelight boardgames and cheap beer helped.  From what I hear it is supposed to drop to cat 2 ish for the coastal guys, lets hope all is well though.
we only lost power for like 8 hours... it was a complete non issue in sugar land. it didnt even full blast flood here from what my neighbor said.

where were you that lost power for weeks? that blows.

The storm looks to be reorganizing nicely after its run-in with the mountains of Cuba. Latest recon shows one area of low Cat 3 strength, and the environment is favorable for continued growth.  The models can't agree on future strengthening; some give it a Cat 4 by the time it reaches Florida, others a 2.  And they still disagree on just how close it will come to land.

A few links:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?type=Bahamas-ir-1-48&checked=&prodDim=100&overDim=100

Excellent discussions at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrFIk7g_riIm2G2Vi90pxDA

The Hot Pepper said:
I don't know if anyone needs any help and is afraid to ask, but the members here are so generous, if you could let us know what you need (place to evacuate to, or any help/supplies after it passes) PLEASE let us know.

Stay safe and don't be afraid to ask THPers for help! We're here!

i need to be able to do the TD early pls ;)

From one hurricane-prone state to all of the rest - good luck to everyone, and please stay safe!  Your car can't swim.  And (almost) no matter what category it is, and even if you're inland, I recommend sleeping in rooms that aren't within falling distance of a tree (especially if the tree doesn't have branches to break its fall).  My Grammy used to live in Ocala, and a relatively weak tropical storm collaborated with a pine tree to take out part of her roof.

I've had a tree come through the room (H. Elena) ...

It's amazing how fast water streams along the room and floods the house thereafter ...

Back