• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first attempt to grow carolina reaper in DIY air pruning pot

Hello everybody. I'm new in growing pepper and also new member here.

I would like to know whether air pruning pot is good for pepper or not. So I make a very simple air pruning pot.  Here are my carolina reaper on my DIY air pruning pot vs normal pot.  The result is quite impressive.  :P
Size of air pruning pot is much smaller but the reaper grow larger.  :fireball:

29582016984_10115f7392_b.jpg

Top view

30126248251_2ce06e52ea_b.jpg

30211196105_3c76330187_b.jpg

austin87 said:
Nice! Where did you get that green mesh material and how big are the holes?

I bought this green mesh from local hardware store in bangkok.  The diameter of hole is about 0.5cm

SavinaRed said:
How do you get the roots/soil to stay together in the airpot ?

I didn't do anything special. Put soil mix in air pot and sow the seed directly into it. 

beerbreath81 said:
Nice idea, plant in air prune does look lot better than one in traditional soil. Will you be making the diy pot bigger as the plant grows? I would guess if left in its current state there will soon not be enough room for the roots as the plants grow?

Some good info here....
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39077-growing-in-smart-pots/

Thanks for the info, beerbreath81. I gave this reaper to my friend yesterday so I don't have a chance to make a bigger pot for it.

Anyway I'm still experiment with different pot size and let the pepper seedling stay in the pot until they stop growing.  
I sow seeds directly into the pot on Octorber 10 (seeds are from Fataliiseeds, PepperLover, WhiteHotPeppers) 
Today they grow this big.

29965748523_147186a8a3_c.jpg

30299734640_765fda5762_c.jpg

I don't know if they can reach 1 meter or not but i will try.  :party:  Hopefully heavy rain won't kill them.
I don't use chemical fertilizer.  I only water them twice a day with dilute activated EM1. 

My friend told me that i'm over watering. Since I don't know much about growing pepper.
Any suggestion would be very appreciated.  :onfire:

lek said:
I only water them twice a day with dilute activated EM1. 

My friend told me that i'm over watering. Since I don't know much about growing pepper.
Any suggestion would be very appreciated.  :onfire:
Allowing the growing media to dry out a bit between watering is the generally preferred method, watering twice a day a bit much.

Your diy air bruning pots seems to work just fine, i have been using airpots for few years now and have been getting very good results because of them.

You are going to kill your plants, if you water them too often and dont let them sit in the water either for too long. I usually lift the pot up to check how much it weights to see when it is time to water again.

Back