• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Lemon habanero sauce...first ferment attempt pic added

First off hello and thanks for having me ;)

I viewed a few videos on mash making etc and went with the simplest one i found for my first ever try into sauces.

I took some lemon habs (about 15) removed stems and green tops keeping seeds and veins intact and pulsed them into a puree along with two med sized ripe yellow bell peppers seeds veins tops removed.

This gave me 2/3rds of a quart of mash that i combined with approx 1.5 - 2 TBLS canning salt.

A week later i thought i had mold but discovered here its kahlm yeast....i stirred it in with a wooden chop stick and have to do so twice daily to keep the mash into the juices or the yeast quickly begins to reform.

This sunday will be week 3.....i just touched my tonge with a dot of the contents from my mash......holy pepper head, its HOT!!!

Not much flavor imparted just heat.....slightly saltly but palatable.
Still trying to learn.

Great site you all have here.

After reading some of the posts here it looks like i am only making a gut punch hot sauce :(

Is it to late (almost 3 weeks) to add some other veggies to the mash or start from scratch?

After some poking around THP posts it looks like I will roast these items and add at the end and cook etc with the addition of vinegar at the end for a refrigerator stored sauce.

Really would appreciate any thoughts from anyone happening to read this.

Thanks Masher.

You could add this little bit at time and put heat in anything mustard, catch up steak sauce any kind of sauce Alabama Jacks does a puree seems like that's what you got a little bit of a puree I don't throw anything away unless it has a really foul odor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Update:

I took the above contents and placed in a pot on med heat.

Then added

1 med chopped onion
6 baby carrots peeled chopped
6 garlic cloves
1 can 15oz can of pears with liquid.

Cooked 20 mins on slow simmer/boil

Taste test.... Too much salt...over powering.

Added 2 tblspoons raw sugar simmer 10 mins.

Still on the salty side....slight fruity taste but the fire from the habs is unbearable and i love carolina reapers.

I should have cut down the habs to 4-5. 12-15 in a quart jar is nothing more than a gut sauce as predicted.

I added 50/50 water vin 1/4 of total volume.....resting in the fridge for a week and will try it again.

Meanwhile attempt #2 will begin with orange habs and a recipe in a half gallon.

Should have much better results that this current frankenstien mix.

Live and learn I guess :)
Masher

And the Journey Continues  :party:

After spending numerous hrs searching the forums and drooling over buddy's ferments thread round two has begun.

Based off the Tims ingredients but used the peppers I had on hand

Orange Habs, Lemon Habs and Orange bells, garlic, onion, carrot, apple, salt.

The aroma is amazing and huge props to Buddy and his ferments thread,    :dance:

Day 1 ~ 10/15/2016

Been having bad luck with my jars without airlock and water, trashed one other day slowing down for me all the things could thin down the stuff to use water I have to use differs though as I say I'm slowing to research little thanks for the share

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back