wanted Wanted: Bhavnagari & Jaranda, Jariza & Jeromin

Yes...I know they are hard to find.  I actually obtained the huge red sweet which is the basis for extremedura paprika.  I had a great crop and we smoked them using oak chips.  Incredible.  I added "Marias Annum" (see below) to make the picante  (which they also use in Extremedura.. ) I am returning  to Spain next year so if all else fails, I will bring the seeds for the "Three J's" back with me.  I will definitely let you know when I have some to share!  Mary

maries_annuum.jpg
  Marias Annum  Courtesy of /www.semillas.de/shop_en/

Very productive Capsicum annuum variety with medium heat. This type is very similar (if not even identical) to the one, which is used for hot Pimenton de la Vera (R).

13765901_1801597060075357_6573396766651937149_o.jpg

pepperitavile said:
Yes...I know they are hard to find.  I actually obtained the huge red sweet which is the basis for extremedura paprika.  I had a great crop and we smoked them using oak chips.  Incredible.  I added "Marias Annum" (see below) to make the picante  (which they also use in Extremedura.. ) I am returning  to Spain next year so if all else fails, I will bring the seeds for the "Three J's" back with me.  I will definitely let you know when I have some to share!  Mary

I see Semillas La Palma have also the Bola.

I'm interested in these varieties too. I believe the only right way here is to obtain seeds from an original source.
I noticed that Semillas has the bola variety. But I once read that bola is the same variety as ñora, which Semillas also sells as a separate variety. Only makes things more confusing...

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%91ora

I'm pleased to see this discussion about Spanish paprika varieties. I've been interested in them for a while, but they seem to be hard to obtain. If anyone can find them, it will be Adrian (rghm1u20). He has managed to get some elusive varieties in the past such as Tap de Corti from Mallorca. On the other hand, Marc went to France to get Piment d'Espelette, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Spain to find some seeds before Mary gets there.

Mary, how did the Reshampatti work out for you?

It's good to see all you serious collectors going after the Spanish paprika peppers.

Cheers, Tom

I didn't actually go to France to obtain the Piment d'Espelette :) . Some growers in Espelette sell their products, including fresh chillis, via their web shop, and that's how I got them. I now have seeds from the 2016 harvest if you need any! :) They're from the grower in my avatar.

20160918-111705-DMC-LX100-10.90mm-f1.70-ISO200-P1000832.jpg

Hey Tom! Still looking for these too? :)
Thank you, but I am sure other can find them too :)  Too bad I was not active here nor other forums, so the hunt took a break. Will try to be more active, and check with Spanish people for these peppers.
Meanwhile I found Pimenton de la Vera in a supermarket here, 2 kind of them, sweet and hot.

kentishman said:
I'm pleased to see this discussion about Spanish paprika varieties. I've been interested in them for a while, but they seem to be hard to obtain. If anyone can find them, it will be Adrian (rghm1u20). He has managed to get some elusive varieties in the past such as Tap de Corti from Mallorca. On the other hand, Marc went to France to get Piment d'Espelette, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Spain to find some seeds before Mary gets there.

Mary, how did the Reshampatti work out for you?

It's good to see all you serious collectors going after the Spanish paprika peppers.

Cheers, Tom

Tom, had a mega crop of the Reshampatti!  This was a top seller at the Farmers Market for me.  Plants were just loaded right up to first frost.  Mary

The USDA (despicable heathens that they are...) has just recently put an embargo on all peppers coming in from Spain due to Med Fruit Fly.  Previous to that they placed an embargo on all peppers coming in via Guatemala (most specifically, chilies from India), same reason and both embargoes are still in place.  I do know that there are several commercial growers who produce the Spanish/Basque chilies both in Oregon and California.  I looked at the Oregon operation and I had more varieties than they did ( :lol:).  I have feelers out to several friends living in different areas of Spain but alas, they are not "Chili People" so I despair of them actually finding the varieties I am looking for.

Actually, the Guatemala embargo proved a huge boon for our business.  Indian restaurants were forced to pay 28 dollars per kilo for chilies coming in through Miami & New York.  We got 18.00 per kilo from 6 local (local for me means Wyoming & Montana) Indian Restaurants and were of course, ecstatic ! :dance: Indian cuisine calls for specific varieties of chilies for specific dishes and they would rather die than substitute another variety of chili.

As for the Spanish/Basque... the quest continues...

Tom, did your Espelette plants get tall?  Mine were nearly 5 foot and I had to repeatedly add string to my stakes to hold them up.  WInd...Wyoming has way more than it's fair share!

My Espelette plants were a good size, but not sure they got to 5 ft. They were very good producers.

I'm pleased that the Reshampati worked so well for you.

Back