• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoor growing on the cheap

I've been growing for years outdoors, and always from store bought starter plants. This year I have decided to take matters into my own hands and start from scratch. I'm looking for some input on germination methods and lighting options that can get my foot in the door, with little to no upfront cost. I am also trying my hand at bonchi with a habanero and hot wax, if anyone has any advice there it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Best advise I can give is the book Pot for Pennies.  Just ignore anything it says about light cycles.  If I remember right, it discusses sea of green.  Best example on ignoring light cycles but using the advice, you dont switch to a 12 hour light cycle to make them bud because they do it on their own.  But you still want them the same distance to the light, so you chop off the tops and clone them for extra plants.  It is a fantastic book for growing on the cheap even though it is a different plant they are talking about.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm familiar with the old moist paper towel trick for germination, just wondering if it was unreliable. Right now I've got the bonchi's on a sunny window sill, but there's not much room and the wife isn't entirely thrilled with them being in the kitchen. I'll have to get some fixtures and some cfl bulbs and move the whole operation to a different location
f3b9f568e6c2e9fd8c09f378d10dd6de.jpg
2015737cdc4d8d60e835975834e8c4ae.jpg
some pics of the bonchi's

Yeah a moist coffee filter/paper towel in a baggie will work.I kept mine (near) a floor vent for added heat

Thanks, dragonsfire. Those are a little out of my price range but I do have something similar above my workbench in the garage, I may sacrifice it for my grow. I just received my seeds today, I did a search for best tasting hots and seemed to see 7 pot bubblegum and chocolate habs on most lists, so that's what I'm going to start with.

Mike5265 said:
Thanks, dragonsfire. Those are a little out of my price range but I do have something similar above my workbench in the garage, I may sacrifice it for my grow. I just received my seeds today, I did a search for best tasting hots and seemed to see 7 pot bubblegum and chocolate habs on most lists, so that's what I'm going to start with.

When it comes to indoor grow, there isn't much "on the cheap".  Lights will get you, if you grow right.  You are looking at a minimum of about $150 for lighting, to grow , I'll say 4 plants.  The good news is, that's really about the biggest cost, unless you go all nuts, and do a grow tent, and all that goes with it.  Not necessary.

I'm a bit surprised to see 7 pot bubblegum listed for taste.  THey're pretty and prolific - and definitely hot - but not a taste standout.  I'd grow a Red Savina for a powerhouse producer with great taste.  And Chocolate Habs, for sure.  Carolina Reapers, while inconsistent in heat, (which can be a good thing) are incredible tasting peppers.

Thanks for the input, solid. I'm starting to think that people see "bubblegum" and automatically their brains tell them it should taste good, without even tasting. I wouldn't doubt that is what skewed my research results. This is more of an experiment for me than anything right now so I'll give it the old college try with things I have around the house and see what happens. I have 4 seeds germinating with the paper towel method right now, hopefully I get %100 germination and I'll only be growing 4 plants (plus two bonchi's which seem to be thriving on my window sill) and can make it work with minimal cost. I mostly started this thread to see if anyone had luck producing good plants with basic household items, and low cost substitutes. I still greatly appreciate any advice and tips, who knows, maybe next year I'll have the funds to try a more sophisticated setup.

10cde8d5aae85a0d37fb293735e77bef.jpg
429a6b6c8c48b3efb5069f822829d90c.jpg
photo update! I've got them under a t8 bulb in a little reflective box I threw together with leftover bits and pieces. The hot wax (tall one) suffered a cat attack and is bouncing back still, at least that's what I'm attributing the distressed leaves too. I think I may get a little clamp on tin can light with a 40 watt cfl and throw it on them too. My question is, how important is it to have a dark time? I've been leaving the light on 24/7 for a week now because I was nervous about them not getting enough light, could this be hurting growth?

For peppers, it's not that important, but for other plants, it's very important.

There is no reason to leave them on 24/7. 8-10 hours a day is plenty. (save a few pennies)

Since I was just starting out, I bought one of these lights from Amazon, and a clamp light with reflector. $30 total.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNWK2XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I attached it to the cabinets above my fridge, and germinated with no heat mat. The fridge is pretty old so it puts off a lot of heat, stays around 70-80 degrees. Plopped 1 seed in each cell, threw the whole thing in a gallon Ziploc bag, seeds broke soil in 8 days. At this point is when I used the grow light, pic below is after 1 week (grow light and fridge heat only). IDK if this helps you, and good luck with you Bonchi projects.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gallery/uCAe3kPHTCqsnXW-OfXHLA?sf=1

*oops, guess I do not understand how to post photos...will work on it. Sorry about that

Thanks, solid. I'll shut em down when I get home. I had no luck with my first round of germination, hopefully I did something wrong and didn't blow $10 on two packs of duds. I used a moist paper towel and nuzzled them up against a scentsy wax melter, I had plenty of condensation forming in the bag and everything seemed to be going well, but after 2 weeks I saw no sign of life. I've had luck in the past germinating directly in soil so I think I'll give that a shot next. I was going to put them up on the fridge but mine is cold, which is good for the fridge but obviously bad for germination.

If you can get the power company to sell you electric "cheap", let others know so they can move where you are.

Elec cost will always be your biggest cost for growing indoors.

Mike5265 said:
Thanks, solid. I'll shut em down when I get home. I had no luck with my first round of germination, hopefully I did something wrong and didn't blow $10 on two packs of duds. I used a moist paper towel and nuzzled them up against a scentsy wax melter, I had plenty of condensation forming in the bag and everything seemed to be going well, but after 2 weeks I saw no sign of life. I've had luck in the past germinating directly in soil so I think I'll give that a shot next. I was going to put them up on the fridge but mine is cold, which is good for the fridge but obviously bad for germination.

I have a heating mat for germination. In the past I've used the paper towel method and wrapped them in a wash cloth for insulation. I then put them on top of my fluorescents just above the ballast. Good amount of heat from there. Just make sure it's not to hot. Don't want to burn anything. As far as flavor goes. BOC was my favorite of the year. Good heat and no bitterness.

Good luck.

Thanks for the sarcasm, willard. I understand the cost of utilities, but I also understand that a high dollar sophisticated lighting system is going to cost me tons more up front, and with electricity, than my 2ft t8 bulb. I guess I should have been more specific in my thread title, but I'm more looking at starting seeds and small plants for outdoor season. The bonchi's are going to stay small, therefore not requiring much light. The same would go for small seedlings (I presume). I'm not trying to fill out my acre lot with indoor started plants, just a few.

Ocd, I had considered my heating pad but with my luck the wife will decide that she needs to use it while I have it occupied. I'll give it a shot tho. Also, my abbreviations aren't up to par yet, what are BOC?

Back