• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Chilli seeds for Australia

I have only recently got into growing chilli seriously and need to know where can I get chilli seeds in Australia?  I think I can legally import some species (C baccatum and C pubescens and a few others) but not others.  There are so many thieves on ebay selling seeds of things that do not exist that I don't like my chances of getting what I pay for.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Just get them from Judy, I've only had one letter taken by the customs. Ask her to put the seeds inside a post card and chuck that in the envelope. Especially that she gives you tons of free stuff, you want it to be inside something solid. And as long as she goes easy on the signage on the envelope. and it'll go through no probs.

Thank you for the kind offers but I think I am ok for seeds for this year, it is probably getting a bit late to plant seeds this year.  I was more thinking of next year. 

I bought some seeds from hippy seed company and while the prices were a bit high the quality was good and I have confidence that I have gotten what I paid for.  I just checked out junglerain and they seem pretty good too.

Question, does C chinese or C annuum pose any greater biosecurity threat than C baccatum?  The first two are not allowed to be imported, but baccatum is on the ok list.  I would have thought that as they hybridise so easily that they would carry exactly the same pathogens etc.

MangoChilli said:
Thank you for the kind offers but I think I am ok for seeds for this year, it is probably getting a bit late to plant seeds this year.  I was more thinking of next year. 

I bought some seeds from hippy seed company and while the prices were a bit high the quality was good and I have confidence that I have gotten what I paid for.  I just checked out junglerain and they seem pretty good too.

Question, does C chinese or C annuum pose any greater biosecurity threat than C baccatum?  The first two are not allowed to be imported, but baccatum is on the ok list.  I would have thought that as they hybridise so easily that they would carry exactly the same pathogens etc.

never to late !     :dance:

I vouch for thsc and jungle rain as a customer of both. My two Chuck Norris Moruga plants from thsc were super prolific this season and put on enough pain to live up to their namesake. It's mid october and I'm still getting a bunch of pods.

I purchased from Hippy seed as well....love their vids and good reputation here.

Will be germinating next month...shipping was pretty fast coming from AUS.

Tried one pack of a new Habanero Cheiro Creme for a white sauce ferment if all goes well.

MangoChilli said:

I'd put it down to government stupidity - the usual explanation for incomprehensible regulations!  :) 

Since most species will happily cross pollinate, I can't imagine how baccatum are somehow safe while other are not. Heck, if I had to ban a species, it would be chinense, since this group contains the vast majority of DANGEROUS super-hots; and we don't want Little Johnny bringing DANGEROUS peppers to school, do we?   :rolleyes:

Back