• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Black and white cross idea.

Okay, I've never grown pepper plants for crossing purposes before, so I'm totally new to this. I made this account here just because I want to learn more about crossing. Anyway lets get to the idea. The Idea is for an ornamental plant. It will have some traits from a Black Pearl,Fish Pepper, and the White habanero. Or any other peppers you can think off that would contribute the genes we want. 
r38.jpg

Fish_Pepper_2_gr.jpg
20.jpg

The idea is to get a fruit which turns from black to white. (Black pearl turns from black to red while white hab from green to white). When the fruit is ripening it would be black with white stripes. Along with that the leaves will be variegated Black and White leaves. Essentially becoming a white and black plant. Keeping the round shape would be cool too. It could be named something like, Panda Pearl, Zebra Pearl, YingYang Beads. The idea might be a bit insane and probably very difficult to do, requiring a lot of resources but.. yea that is why its only an idea. As I've mentioned I'm new to this that is why I'm here to ask you people for some thoughts. too difficult?
If not maybe just a black plant with black fruits that turn white?
Is it even possible?
If so, how should it be done?
Crossing two first and cross the third with the f1, then plant a million plants?
Or cross two first grow for some of the traits, stabilize it, then cross the third plant to the new stabilized strain and continue?

Lots of questions in my mind. Love to hear your ideas.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Ooh.  I don't know - I'm sorry! - but I hope you succeed, because that sounds awesome (and maybe you could cross the Black Pearl with an orange habanero and get Halloween-colors fruit...).

All I know is black pearls taste like crap. My dad grew them one year. 

A more edible option is goatsweed which turn from green-black-red

Awesome idea, surely it's possible. I agree with D3monic though black pearls are horrible to eat. Perhaps crossed with a hab though might taste ok

Oh I didn't know about the taste thing. My Black pearl is just beginning to Fruit so I will be able to find out soon. I'll Cross it with some of my other chillies or the fish pepper as a trial first as I haven't been able to get my White habs to sprout. When crossed with the fish pepper I hope to get something cool like a black and red striped pepper hope that would taste okay.

Back