• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Walmart came through with some nice jalapenos

so i made some of my pepper relish.

Gave them a taste when i got home and these aint no duds. Not bad for $1.39/lb

P1020331_zpsyo97inwb.jpg

2lbs Jalapenos ( De-seeded and coarsely chopped)
6 Serranos (De-seeded and finely chopped)
1 red and 1 green Cowhorn (De-seeded and finely chopped)
1/2 of a medium white onion (finely chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
Juice from 2 smallish limes
2-3 Tbs rice wine vinegar (Champagne vinegar is excellent also)
1 Tsp sugar
2-3 Tsp of canning salt to weep the chopped peppers, garlic and onion.
1/4 Tsp ascorbic acid

Fresh chopped cilantro about an hour before serving.

Normally i add more serrano and 1 habanero but the cowhorns got a nice zip to them and that is what i had fresh. Its plenty spicy for topping nachos or adding to some queso. I weep the peppers first in the salt for a hour or so. Stirring them a couple times. I taste the liquid and if its too salty i give it a very quick rinse. Reserves some of the "brine" from weeping. Add the lime juice, vinegar and sugar. Add back enough brine or water to cover the relish and the ascorbic acid. Adjusting for taste if needed. Pack it in a jar and put it in the fridge. It tastes best to me after a few days to a week in the fridge.

This easily keeps for a month or more.

Questions on the Ascorbic acid?

I see it listed in a few recipes from time to time on THP....looking it up on the web, I read it's vitamin C.

What is the purpose of adding it?

How is it used and the need for using it?

Masher said:
Questions on the Ascorbic acid?

I see it listed in a few recipes from time to time on THP....looking it up on the web, I read it's vitamin C.

What is the purpose of adding it?

How is it used and the need for using it?

As he stated antioxidant/preservative. Lemon/lime juice will also do the same, with its citric acid as well as ascorbic acid content. An orange would have less citric (the sour) and more ascorbic (the C). With all of these you also get flavor, so using just the acid, you only get the acid and its properties.

The Hot Pepper said:

As he stated antioxidant/preservative. Lemon/lime juice will also do the same, with its citric acid as well as ascorbic acid content. An orange would have less citric (the sour) and more ascorbic (the C). With all of these you also get flavor, so using just the acid, you only get the acid and its properties.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Ascorbic acid helps retain color and its a natural preservative.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/491522-how-is-ascorbic-acid-used-in-food/

Perfect info, thanks guys  ;)

Back