• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making buffalo sauce

Hey all, has anyone tried making their own buffalo sauce from peppers? I guess more importantly, what makes it buffalo sauce? Is it just the inclusion of butter to the hot sauce? I tried to google some recipes, but all of them seem to include "hot sauce" as one of the main ingredients... not exactly what I'm looking at.

What I want to do is use my fermented Reaper mash to create a 'buffalo style sauce', any ideas? Should I just create a simple sauce of salt, vinegar, garlic, and build off that?

ChiliheadDan said:
My concern is in attempting to make a shelf stable product. I've heard fats and oils can become rancid and ruin a good product. It sounds like I may just need to make the 'hot sauce' component, and then add in butter when I got to make something with it. Thoughts?

Make your reaper sauce as intended without the additions of oils/fats.  Then whip up your own buffalo sauce by adding the butter/cream when you're going to make wings.  Unless you have a pressure canner, it's the easiest safest way. 

Note:  Your fermented reaper mash isn't going to need much in the way of vinegar to get to the level of tang you're looking for since it's already pretty acidic.  Same for salt.  I'd cook down a portion of the mash, blend it up really good, thin with vinegar/a bit of water and then adjust with salt and maybe a bit of honey for balance.  That'll get you to the 'hot sauce' portion of the buffalo sauce recipe.  Then add the butter to that and make your (insanely) hot wings.  ;)

+++ to what these guys posted^^^

Do not include oils/fats (butter) in something you want to preserve unless you are looking to do the pressure cooking.  If you want to do pressure canning, then look at adding the butter now and pressure canning the finished sauce. 

Sounds like you are in the experimentation stages so I second what SnF suggested.  Make the ferment, preserve it as you like in usable portions (freeze, BWB, HFH)  then experiment with adding the butter per use.

The most basic and original was FranksRedHot hot sauce with butter.  Others, like Defcon, have improved on that.  Using a fermented sauce as the base sounds really interesting. 

I recently went to buffalo wild wings in Portland OR just to try it out and see what all the fuss is about.   I ordered the original (medium?) and the next to hottest,  6+6.  Wasn't that impressed, the deep-fried wings seemed freezer-burnt, but maybe it was just the deep-frying thing.  I dunno. I came to realize that I really do not like the classic vinegar based wing sauce! But I LOVE other wing sauces, not so vinegary, Asian flavors, BBQ flavors.....

dagnabbit, now I'm HUNGRY!!!

Won't taste the same the point is the fats and solids so the sauce is richer. Ever had wing sauce? No way clarified butter will taste the same. Butter and even cream can be used. Also it is bottled by many wing sauce makers. You just have to do it right,

Or make the sauce w/o butter and do that when making the wings on the stovetop.

Deep fried wings + clarified butter in sauce may even taste greasy.

dragonsfire said:
You can make your own, heat it up in a pot and start skimming of the froth until theirs non left. Theirs instructions on the net for doing that.

Seems a lot different.
Ghee differs slightly in its production. The process of creating traditional clarified butter is complete once the water is evaporated and the fat (clarified butter) is separated from the milk solids. However, the production of ghee includes simmering the butter along with the milk solids so that they caramelize, which makes it nutty-tasting and aromatic.

Back