• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Local's 1st Glog - Perth, Western Australia

Hey Everyone,

Quick intro, I'm from Perth in WA. Just bought a house recently so I now have some room to grow.

So I'm relatively new to this, I have only grown from seed once before but mostly just bought seedlings and grown them in pots.

Since I bought my new place I thought that it would be a good idea to plant my chillies in the ground instead of pots, well that was a mistake.

This is about two weeks after the replanting.

5vvc76.jpg

dr6q7b.jpg

21opw4.jpg

3442nvo.jpg

The winter has been a little longer than normal this year but they are bouncing back now with the weather heating up.

I now have all the seeds for this years grow;

- From Chilli Seed Bank
Scotch Bonnet Red

- From Hippy Seed Company
St Martin's Habanero
Butch T Scorpion
7 Pod Yellow
Sannam
Peach Fatali
Antillais Carribean

vxozvb.jpg

Have a budget setup for now to try to get these germinated, My light that I was using to keep them warm died last night so currently they may be a little cool but they are near a window during the day and closer to the middle of the room at night. 

5af1af.jpg

I'll be looking at trying a DWC setup for a few of these plants once they are ready too.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated as I go.

Thanks again,
Damien

grats on the house!

can we get pics of the condensing unit and air handler?

its customary to start a grow thread with HVAC equipment photos. everyone on this site is crazy about hvac equipment.

I would love to take a photo... If I had one :cry: .

Being in Australia the temperature is generally warm enough to to warrant one from what I believe (from my very limited knowledge  :rolleyes:, I could be wrong).

I am super poor at the moment after the house taking up most of my spare cash so I'll be looking to do this with as little $$$ spent as possible. In the last few years I haven't had issues with germinating, but would there be any recommendations that are relatively cheap? I'm pretty handy so I don't mind a DIY.

You can get heat mats with a thermostat for reptiles at a pet store, they are cheap and work great.

If they don't germinate contact me I will be able to give you some seedlings as long as you pick up. Pinjarra/Ravo area.

Jase4224 said:
You can get heat mats with a thermostat for reptiles at a pet store, they are cheap and work great.

If they don't germinate contact me I will be able to give you some seedlings as long as you pick up. Pinjarra/Ravo area.
Oh thanks for that, I will definitely keep that in mind. 

LocalFart said:
Has anyone tried to use an electric blanket to warm? Could I make a tent out of one and have it on a low setting?
Will work , heat mats are just small electric blankets.
Remember , soil temperature is important , not air temperature.
Good luck with your grow.

LocalFart said:
Has anyone tried to use an electric blanket to warm? Could I make a tent out of one and have it on a low setting?

Hey, Damien!  Good luck getting a grow going in your new digs.

I used a heating pad, you know, like for sore backs and stuff, it
worked just fine.  I put the trays on top of the pad.

Congrats on the new home, yeah, they're money pits. But it's yours ;)

Looking forward to seeing how you do, and welcome to the THP!

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

Good news, I have life  :party:  seems like the old and faithful fluro light kept them warm enough.

These are the Scotch Bonnets that I sowed about two weeks ago.

There's about 10 sprouts so far, 

2m6vcqh.jpg

vhw8w5.jpg

eq2l1c.jpg

2b77y9.jpg

4j7tc4.jpg

I'll keep you all posted, and I should be building the planter box for these over the next few weeks  :drooling:

Awesome good to see :)

I'm in Broome at the moment.. man would be incredible to grow chillies in this climate all the plants look so healthy

Oh I would love the humidity up there for growing, but me personally would hate it  :rolleyes:

Another update, 26 of the bonnets have sprouted. Pretty good considering I was only meant to have 25 seeds in a pack  :P

I'll be building the planter box today, I'll post some pics up after I'm done.

Here are some pics of the plants,

miyts2.jpg

2howsbs.jpg

2eqf4uv.jpg

ws5rgg.jpg

2unx1j9.jpg

1zybzg2.jpg

2zhpkkk.jpg

I'm using the seedling mix from Green Life Soil, I've just transferred the seedlings from the Jiffy pellets because they grow a heap better in the mix.

I've made the planter box now so just waiting for the funds to buy some shade cloth and the soil mix and I should be good to go :P

I'll post up some pics next week

I use 30% screen once the temps hit the mid 90's here in Tejas, which is semi desert. Works great ;)

To me your pics don't show. The bottom line of options (at the top) where you see B I U (etc.) the 11th choice is a square green box click it and enter the url in this fashion http://www.mypics.com/pic.jpg
Where that url represents the pic location:
example (one of mine, random):

250.jpg

Hope that helps. I used http://www.devtex.net/2016/250.jpg for that example.

Cheers!

Yeah I will probably go some 30% then, hopefully it will be enough here, seems like we're going to be in for a warm summer.

Sorry about the pics Devv, I use Tinypic and haven't seemed to have that problem before, I'll see if anyone else can't see them either.

Back