• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Favorite hab salsa recipes?

Hey everyone.

Tonight I made a nice batch of salsa. 2 fresh tomatoes from the garden, 1/4 of a red onion diced fine, handful of cilantro, squeeze of lime, salt n pepper and a few mystery peppers from the garden. The mystery pepper I taste tested had serrano heat and similar flavour but the two I put in my salsa didn't put much heat into it even after cooling in the fridge for a couple hours.

It wasn't hot enough so I added 2 orange habs, diced up fine. That added a perfect amount of heat! Just a bit of sweat on the forehead. Problem is, the hab taste overwhelmed the salsa. I think... hab's in fresh salsa's need fruit or something to accompany them. Like pineapple perhaps.

Am I Nuts? I like the hab flavour but it seems to overpower the salsa. Hints, tips, tricks, recipes, ideas appreciated!

Found this one the other day dont know if it was posted here or not and I dont feel like searching

Peaches and Screams Fatalii Salsa

The deliciously fruity salsa can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days, but fresh it's just best. Tip: For a killer tropical seafood sauce, simmer the salsa in a small saucepan with about 1/2 cup of Chardonnay for 10 minutes, then puree it.
•2 nice, ripe peaches (always a beautiful sight)
•1 Fatalii pod
•1 teaspoon sunflower oil
•1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped
•1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, chopped,
•2 teaspoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
•A pinch of salt
Peel and core the peaches, cut them into about 1/5" cubes. Using gloves, finely chop the Fatalii pod. In a small bowl, mix all ingredients and let sit for at least an hour. Scoop with corn chips or use over grilled chicken, fish or seafood.

Back