• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Keeping cats away from indoor plants?!

Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately the wife is attached to the little furballs. I found a new growth branch with a wee little flower pod laying on the counter this morning, it was ripped up and there was cat hair all over the stem. I'd rather not isolate the plants if possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If the wife is attached to the cats, you can always get rid of the wife...

Personally, I can't be with a woman who insists on having those disgusting little bastards of creatures as her objects of captive fixation. 

As an alternative to kicking the woman to the curb, I'll suggest an electric fence.

There's a newborn in the situation also, getting rid of the wife isn't the best solution at this point. I figured the cats wouldn't mess with hot peppers so I left my poor babies on a sunny window sill in the kitchen, nothing touched them outside all season, but sure enough those idiots wreak havoc when I bring them in. I'd love to do a glass enclosure like what fatalii has on their bonchi page, but like I said, there's a newborn in the situation and money is tight.

Make up some pepper spray and give the plants good dose. Keeps the wild animals away from my plants. Should work on cats too...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Use the newborn as extra leverage to get rid of the invaders.  Pregnant women and newborns shouldn't be anywhere near litter boxes.  It's unsanitary, and a great vehicle for Toxoplasmosis Gondii.  (that shit is real)

I'm really unable to suppress my disaffection for felines.  But that being said, pepper spray is a good start.  Even better if you can come up with a system that will trigger a blast whenever the monster gets near the plant.   Fresh pepper in your face, motherfuckaaaaaaa!

solid7 said:
I'm really unable to suppress my disaffection for felines.  But that being said, pepper spray is a good start.  Even better if you can come up with a system that will trigger a blast whenever the monster gets near the plant.   Fresh pepper in your face, motherf**kaaaaaaa!
Or just give them a good shot of it right in the face when you spray your plants. They should get the point after that.....

Of course im just kidding. I would never suggest that you spray a cat in the face with pepper spray.......Nope, never....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I still say electric fence.  So you've got a newborn...  kid has to learn, sometime.  Kill 2 birds with one stone.

I've got some habs left, could I cut them up and soak them in water to make a little spray from? On a side note, it seems like I struck a nerve with this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one here with a distaste for the furry little piss machines. When we rescued our pitbull I not so secretly hoped he would eat at least one of them. No dice.

Mike5265 said:
When we rescued our pitbull I not so secretly hoped he would eat at least one of them. No dice.

Have you tried sewing the cats a meat sweater?  I mean, if you're worried about the cost, just stick with top round...  No need to go all NY Strip.

We have cats...pepper spray works, but it also fumes the surrounding area

We don't have indoor house plants, it's too much hassle....we did take a spare den and converted into a private grow space.

Ideas: None of which are probably worth the trouble

*Make a wire cage, place something heavy on top or a way to secure it from moving.

*Large wire frame wrapped in plastic bird,deer,hardware cloth type netting.

*Isolate

Meat sweater... nice. I'll keep that in mind for next time they get under my skin. It looks like isolation is my best solution right now, just sucks because where I have them now is damn near perfect. Great sun for at least half the day, good air movement, and it's right in a high traffic area where I'm sure to attend to their needs daily.

Masher said:

Ideas: None of which are probably worth the trouble

*Make a wire cage, place something heavy on top or a way to secure it from moving.

*Large wire frame wrapped in plastic bird,deer,hardware cloth type netting.

*Isolate

That's all great, except that if they can't eat it or f**k it, they'll just piss on it.

solid7 said:

That's all great, except that if they can't eat it or f**k it, they'll just piss on it.
Spay or nueter and NEVER make your cats outdoor cats.....once they get outside you're screwed.

I am not a cat lover, mrs is.... mrs works in a vet, they were rescue kittens.

We have 2 cats 2 freakin NOISY ass LARGE birds and my Golden retriever/Chow gaurd dog 

Happy wife....happy life.  

I like barn cats.  If a rodent problem shows itself, you slow down their food and they figure it out.  Indoor cats not my favorite.  Wife loves them.  She also loves useless non productive houseplants that just take up space.  So she turns the misting bottle on cats and they figure it out.  Thing is, its always the same thing.  Their litter box gets too dirty, they crap in her plants.  I think they have a plan, sending her a message, clean my damn box.  I wont do it cause my cats shit and live OUTSIDE where they belong.

I like other people's cats, just hate that I have them in my house. They're all fixed but that doesn't mean they won't pee on everything soft, pillows, blankets, ect ect... solid is pretty accurate on that one unfortunately. And I'm a firm disbeliever in the "happy wife, happy life" saying, in my house it's kinda like the children's book "If you give a mouse a cookie". If you give your wife a house, she's gonna ask for renovations. If you give her renovations, she's gonna ask for new furniture... and so on till I croak.

I'd love to put them outside, but we live next to the highway and they're all de-clawed. That was the only thing I got out of the cat situation, they can't shred my furniture. Although at times I would gladly trade that for the money lost throwing out the stuff they piss on. Any thoughts on the habanero water? Could that do the trick?

Works Great and will give you a little enjoyment.

Get several 99cent store mouse traps,set them and place them around your pots-Upside Down.
When a furball steps on them they Jump up and make a loud snap.
(You can put those stick on caps on the end of the bar for added noise.

After a few times you just have to place un set traps around the pots,just the sight of them keeps critters away.

I had cats crapping in my #15 Pots-tearing up my plant roots...

Ever see a cat running in mid air,crapping and yowling(Whilie Coyote,going over the cliff?)

Lots of good clean fun. LOL

Worked on keeping Possums away from my sweet Paprika plants too.

AJ Drew said:
 my cats shit and live OUTSIDE where they belong.

Amen to that.  Unless you are a crazy cat lady who feeds all of the feral assholes at the beach near my home.

457e949501fa3c08c0d65b9398ce885d.jpg
my temporary solution. Took me half an hour and cost me nothing. I had a cfl work light, some leftover insulation board, and a leftover drawer that I repurposed into a little reflecto box duhickey. Hopefully this works, I stuck the whole kitten kaboodle (see what I did there...) in the basement. Probably not enough air circulation, but we'll find out!

Back