• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Newbie here, advice needed

Sooo, i have a question... I have 6 yellow habaneros and 8 Fatalii yellow peppers... i plan on making a hot sauce with some fruit... i have pears and a couple of homegrown quinces that are quite sour... so, should i do two separate sauces with only one kind or i can do them together, and if together, how much fruit should i add to make it more palatable... i was planning on adding a bit of ginger and garlic and lemon with some apple cider vinegar. I am relatively new to hot sauce making, and appreciate any advice 
1f642.png
:)
 Thank you

Hi ijemin!  Welcome to THP!

You can use all of the peppers in one batch, habs and fatali go well together in my opinion.  Pears are nice; sweet and neutral flavored and the quince with its sour would be a nice counterbalance for the sweetness.  Just those four ingredients could make a nice sauce, though I'd probably get some yellow or orange sweet bells to help provide more depth/volume/body.  Fruit wise I'd say a couple of pairs matched with the quince would be good - you can always add another pear or some honey if you feel the sauce needs more sweet to balance.  Ginger in when it's cooking would be fine, though I don't know how garlic would play with the above ingredients.

Once you've cooked down your peppers and fruit and tasted, then you can add some vinegar or lemon to thin it and bring the sauce together.  Shouldn't take much since you're not making a large batch.  The best advice I can give:  1. Be meticulous with all ingredients and measurements (by the gram) so that if you like what you make you can replicate if (or if you don't you have an idea of what you would prefer more of less of) and 2.  Taste frequently along the way.  

Finally I encourage you to make many different sauces with whatever is fresh and on hand and to post threads with pics so we can follow along.  :)

SmokenFire said:

You can use all of the peppers in one batch, habs and fatali go well together in my opinion.  Pears are nice; sweet and neutral flavored and the quince with its sour would be a nice counterbalance for the sweetness.  Just those four ingredients could make a nice sauce, though I'd probably get some yellow or orange sweet bells to help provide more depth/volume/body.  Fruit wise I'd say a couple of pairs matched with the quince would be good - you can always add another pear or some honey if you feel the sauce needs more sweet to balance.  Ginger in when it's cooking would be fine, though I don't know how garlic would play with the above ingredients.

Once you've cooked down your peppers and fruit and tasted, then you can add some vinegar or lemon to thin it and bring the sauce together.  Shouldn't take much since you're not making a large batch.  The best advice I can give:  1. Be meticulous with all ingredients and measurements (by the gram) so that if you like what you make you can replicate if (or if you don't you have an idea of what you would prefer more of less of) and 2.  Taste frequently along the way.  

Finally I encourage you to make many different sauces with whatever is fresh and on hand and to post threads with pics so we can follow along.   :)

What he said..........  :)

SmokenFire said:

Finally I encourage you to make many different sauces with whatever is fresh and on hand and to post threads with pics so we can follow along.   :)
yeah, i have a couple orange-to-red bells, and will be using them.

how much vinegar or lemon juice (i prefer lemon juice for this one) by volume should i be using?

Back